Cultural Resources Lab Technician
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Austin, TX Cultural Resources Group as a Part time Regular(PTR)Cultural Resources Lab Technician.
*Please note that this is a part time role and is not expected to be a permanent position.*
Laboratory technicians will work under the supervision of the Laboratory Director to prepare documents, records, photographs, and artifacts for permanent curation. Curation preparation will include preparing field records, laboratory records, and digital data for permanent curation at various certified repositories.
- Lab technicians will maintain accurate laboratory records and project filing systems, organize and perform quality control on laboratory and field records, label records, and process field photographs for curation.
- Other curation preparation duties of lab technicians will include artifact inventory, artifact labeling, rebagging, retagging, and data entry into Excel and/or Access databases.
- Other duties may include washing and/or drybrushing artifacts; sorting, counting, weighing, and cataloging artifacts by class; conducting analysis of prehistoric and historic artifacts such as lithics, ceramics, and faunal remains; and assisting with sampling, processing, and analysis of special samples, such as flotation samples.
- Lab technicians may be asked to assist in fieldwork and help maintain tools and equipment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's Degree in Archaeology, Anthropology, or closely related field with participation in at least one Archaeology field school.
- Experience in preparing and submitting projects for curation at a certified curatorial facility.
- One year general work experience desired.
- Working knowledge of the Antiquities Code of Texas, Texas Antiquities Permits, and Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act.
- All candidates should demonstrate basic knowledge of the Antiquities Code of Texas, Texas Antiquities Permits, and Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act.
- Also required is basic knowledge of archaeological survey and excavation techniques, laboratory methods, and basic artifact classifications, as required per project.
- Must possess the ability to examine and evaluate the condition of artifacts and sites, describe facts and events accurately, write neatly and legibly, and track and maintain artifact provenience throughout all stages of collection/processing/analysis/curation.
- Follow instructions precisely and possess extreme attention to detail; communicate technical information effectively; and establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.