Daylight & Sunlight Consultant
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Daylight and Sunlight Specialist
Atkins Building Design Practice are looking for an experienced Daylight and Sunlight Specialist keen to further their career in a positive environment and join our team where talent is encouraged and growth opportunities unrivalled. This role will be based in London but presents the opportunity to join a national delivery team and work with designers across the UK and internationally through our Global Design Centre.
You will work as part of our national practice of Building Design professionals, delivering solutions to clients across the UK and abroad. The Building Design practice work on projects across our primary market sectors, including Aviation, Cities & Development, Education, Energy and Transportation.
The opportunity will require you to lead the development and implementation of daylighting and sunlighting for projects. The role will include client-facing as well as involvement in the day to day design and management of projects. It is an exciting opportunity for an experienced designer to further enhance their career, within a leading building design consultancy, taking responsibility for the development of a specialist discipline.
Our focus is on developing our staff to realise their full potential, with development plans geared to individual needs and abilities. This role will allow you continued development of existing technical skills as well as providing potential to expand the services within the consultancy.
Our Practice is committed to developing our ways of working using emerging Digital Technology and the global reach offered by an organisation of our size and reach. Our ideal individual will bring strong technical skills to the role, as well as an enquiring mind able to contribute to the growth of our digital practice within the discipline.
- To lead the development of a daylight and sunlight specialist capability supporting internal and external clients.
- Identify tools and establish processes required to carry out calculations and assessments.
- Develop templates and tools in order to produce reports to support planning applications.
- Provide technical expertise to projects informing the design of buildings.
- Work with client-side project teams, on consultancy, liaison, and development support.
- Work in partnership with Atkins global design centre (GDC) to add value to building services projects where appropriate.
- Represent Atkins at meetings with clients and contractors.
- Carry out site surveys and inspections, prepare technical reports, maintaining records and archives to company standards
- Manage own workload, help and assist with technical development of junior staff.
- Ensuring an understanding of project briefs, perform task management and project coordination.
- A desire to influence and develop innovative solutions to enhance daylight in buildings.
- Ability to work with clients and architects to address issues at early design stages.
- Input to façade layout and optimisation of interiors for sunlight and daylight.
- Understanding and ability to influence building massing, solar glare and overshadowing.
- Ability to recommend solutions to address daylight and sunlight issues.
- Good understanding of industry tools for daylight and sunlight analysis.
- Ability to undertake assessments and issue reports in conjunction with standards including BRE209, BREEAM, LEED, WELL, EFA.
- Excellent understanding and practical experience with CBDM.
- Report writing skills.
- Good internal communication skills.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in delivering daylight and sunlight analysis into different environments.
- Residential and education sector experience.
- Experience in master planning and feasibility studies.
- Sketchup and Revit experience.
- Rail and Aviation sector experience.
- An appreciation and understanding of artificial lighting design.
Atkins recognize that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who require flexibility. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
Atkins is ranked as one of ‘The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For’ and as one of the ‘The Times Top 50 Employers for Women 2015’. We support equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
Rewards and Benefits
Atkins offers a range of benefits through the ‘My Rewards’ packages, which can be selected annually. Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package www.yourrewardatkins.com
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.