Decentralised and Urban Energy Lead
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Atkins Infrastructure division are looking to appoint a Lead Building Services Engineer to work as our Decentralised and Urban Energy Lead. Working at the London head office of Atkins in the Building Design division, you will play a leading role in our decentralised and urban energy market.
With the rise in interest around decarbonising the energy industry, improving air quality and implementing heat networks and thermal storage, our team is expanding to deliver sustainable solutions to our growing portfolio of satisfied clients. The opportunity would suit Building Services Engineers from either a Mechanical or Electrical background.
Candidates from a mechanical background will need a thorough knowledge of decentralised energy technologies including CHP, biomass, heat pumps, hydrogen based technology, energy centres, thermal storage, district heating and cooling networks and building connections. Experience of sustainable master planning, liaising with utility providers and advising on measures to achieve carbon reduction targets for existing and new developments will be a key advantage.
Candidates from an electrical background will need a thorough knowledge of low carbon energy technologies including fuel cells, DC and intelligent power networks, electric vehicle infrastructure, demand side response, energy storage, energy centres and building connections. Experience of electricity supply arrangements, sustainable master planning and advising on measures to achieve carbon reduction targets for existing and new developments will be a key advantage.
We work in all client sectors and frequently play the lead role across all project stages for airports, universities, mixed use developments, commercial offices, major stations, local authorities, defence, industrial and leisure schemes.
- Developing energy strategies and masterplans;
- Design of decentralised and district energy infrastructure and associated building installations;
- Interfacing with Clients and producing reports and energy statements;
- Liaising and negotiating with energy service providers:
- Site surveys, data collection and analysis of data sets;
- Research into reducing energy use, improving resilience to climate change and creating more sustainable buildings;
- Contribution to the development of policy on low carbon and renewable energy, climate change and sustainability issues;
- Developing client networks and bid opportunities;
- Bidding project work, and delivering to programme and budget
- Science, engineering or building-related bachelor’s degree, with preferably a building sustainability/energy related MSc;
- Ability to communicate effectively, be client-facing and able to write concise and clear reports;
- A proven track record of identifying and winning work, building client relationships and experience of leading teams;
- Successful Project Management of a range of decentralised energy projects;
- Mechanical background: Project experience on district heating, district cooling, thermal storage, low carbon thermal generation and their application in future energy networks;
- Electrical background: Project experience on fuel cells, DC and intelligent power networks, electric vehicle infrastructure, demand side response, energy storage, energy centres and building connections and their application in future energy networks;
- Techno-economic appraisals;
- Experience relating to inspecting site facilities relating to the scope above;
- Thermal load assessment to establish infrastructure and equipment sizes.
- Have a good understanding of and interest in sustainable development issues as they relate to the built environment.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.