Decentralised and Urban Energy Lead
Decentralised and Urban Energy Lead
Atkins, a member of SNC-Lavalin is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, with over 50,000 employees worldwide. At Atkins, we offer more than just a job. We offer an opportunity to make a difference and shape the world to benefit future generations and the natural environment.
We are looking to recruit a knowledgeable and skilled Lead Building Services Engineer to work as our Decentralised and Urban Energy Lead. Working at the London head office of Atkins in the Building Design division, you will play a leading role in our decentralised and urban energy market.
With the rise in interest around decarbonising the energy industry, improving air quality and implementing heat networks and thermal storage, our team is expanding to deliver sustainable solutions to our growing portfolio of satisfied clients. The opportunity would suit Building Services Engineers from either a Mechanical or Electrical background.
Candidates from a mechanical background will need a thorough knowledge of decentralised energy technologies including CHP, biomass, heat pumps, hydrogen based technology, energy centres, thermal storage, district heating and cooling networks and building connections. Experience of sustainable master planning, liaising with utility providers and advising on measures to achieve carbon reduction targets for existing and new developments will be a key advantage.
Candidates from an electrical background will need a thorough knowledge of low carbon energy technologies including fuel cells, DC and intelligent power networks, electric vehicle infrastructure, demand side response, energy storage, energy centres and building connections. Experience of electricity supply arrangements, sustainable master planning and advising on measures to achieve carbon reduction targets for existing and new developments will be a key advantage.
We work in all client sectors and frequently play the lead role across all project stages for airports, universities, mixed use developments, commercial offices, major stations, local authorities, defence, industrial and leisure schemes.
- Developing energy strategies and masterplans;
- Design of decentralised and district energy infrastructure and associated building installations;
- Interfacing with Clients and producing reports and energy statements;
- Liaising and negotiating with energy service providers:
- Site surveys, data collection and analysis of data sets;
- Research into reducing energy use, improving resilience to climate change and creating more sustainable buildings;
- Contribution to the development of policy on low carbon and renewable energy, climate change and sustainability issues;
- Developing client networks and bid opportunities;
- Bidding project work, and delivering to programme and budget
- Science, engineering or building-related bachelor’s degree, with preferably a building sustainability/energy related MSc;
- Ability to communicate effectively, be client-facing and able to write concise and clear reports;
- A proven track record of identifying and winning work, building client relationships and experience of leading teams;
- Successful Project Management of a range of decentralised energy projects;
- Mechanical background: Project experience on district heating, district cooling, thermal storage, low carbon thermal generation and their application in future energy networks;
- Electrical background: Project experience on fuel cells, DC and intelligent power networks, electric vehicle infrastructure, demand side response, energy storage, energy centres and building connections and their application in future energy networks;
- Techno-economic appraisals;
- Experience relating to inspecting site facilities relating to the scope above;
- Thermal load assessment to establish infrastructure and equipment sizes.
- Have a good understanding of and interest in sustainable development issues as they relate to the built environment.
What we offer
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
In addition to competitive core benefits, Atkins operates a flexible benefits programme which includes the ability to buy up to 15 days of extra holiday each year, a cycle to work scheme and a 24/7 confidential Employee Assistance Programme, private health care, amongst many other options.
Atkins is committed to developing the knowledge and skills of our employees. As well as providing a training budget, the successful candidate will benefit from tailored mentoring and support towards achieving their career goals, such as Chartership and beyond.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual development process. We support staff in achieving and maintaining membership of relevant institutions. You will also be part of our global Technical Networks, which provide a flow of technically orientated information and ideas through the company.
Atkins will support you in your ongoing professional development. This includes paying your annual membership and providing access to training.
Rewards and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary that is regularly tested against other consultants with a default 25-days leave each year plus bank holidays and options to buy some or sell of that leave.
To support and safeguard your physical and mental wellbeing we provide an employee assistance programme offering advice and support in times of need. Our offices run their own sports and social clubs providing a wide range of activities. You will also have access to our Flexible Benefits, where you can opt in to a wide range of benefits to complement your work/life balance: such as medical insurance, gym membership, the cycle-to-work scheme, child care vouchers, charitable giving, additional pension contributions etc.
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Cities & development
Atkins, a member of SNC-Lavalin is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, with over 50,000 employees worldwide. At Atkins, we offer more than just
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs