Design Engineer (Rail Civil)
Design Engineer (Rail Civil)
As one of the world’s leading consultancies operating in the built and natural environment, we offer unparalleled opportunities for talented individuals in search of a rewarding career both in India and around the world. Atkins India is committed to design excellence in the delivery of first-class solutions which combine innovation, imagination and best practice.
Atkins is a member of SNC Lavalin Organization. Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global, fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. The combined entity of Atkins and SNC-Lavalin has created one of the largest global engineering and project management consultancies with approximately 50,000 employees and operating across 50 countries.
How will you contribute to the team?
To perform this role successfully, the individual will be responsible for but not limited to the following:
- Continues to receive on-the-job technical training but with limited supervision, progressing towards the end of technical training.
- Drafts technical reports of acceptable technical and presentational quality – with minimal supervision and rework required.
- Good understanding of Network Rail, London Underground, Railway Group standards, British Standards and Euro-codes.
- An effective and reliable team member able to apply knowledge gained and competent to check the work of other team members.
- Able to assign and check the work of graduate engineers, technicians and administrative staff.
- Experience of managing interfaces with other railway engineering disciplines under supervision.
- Ability to determine appropriate basic input data prior to commencement of work and should be able to make sound engineering judgements.
- Ensures that their own hand and computer calculations are clear, understandable, properly referenced and filed.
- Fully proficient in structural analysis and design using appropriate software and able to prepare calculations for more complex structures under supervision.
- Offer new ideas to improve solutions and processes.
- Capable of producing clear sketch details for CAD drafting or communication purposes including 2D and 3D sketches.
- Good knowledge of Rail Solutions CAD standard, BMS work procedures and adhere to MP5 work procedures and Atkins Rail BMS.
- Capable of implementing BMS filing matrix and project filing s stems and able to guide others in the team.
- Be aware of the project programme and the dates deliverables are required and responsible for completion of specifically assigned tasks to time and cost, and for accurate reporting on progress of assigned tasks.
- Refer to senior staff on matters of major importance such as resourcing, departmental costs and expenses. Report on own performance on a regular basis including timely completion of timesheets.
- Clear understanding of railway civil engineering technologies and markets and able to discuss with clients.
- Experience in preparing project cost estimates for more complex packages of work under supervision.
- Successful in identifying and following through on leads/suggestions associated with additional work prospects on the projects they are involved with and to draft responses to straightforward bids.
- Demonstrates the necessary level of competence and responsibility according to grade.
- Good understanding of UK safety legislation including CDM regulations, completion of Skill-port safety modules.
- Able to identify health and safety risks and reduce them through design with little supervision.
- Knowledge, understanding and application of sustainability principles.
- Actively forge relationships with other business units and divisions within Bangalore and UK.
What will you contribute?
- Degree in Engineering/Science or related discipline with typically up to 3 years of relevant experience for master’s graduates or typically 5 years’ experience for Bachelors graduates or PhD in related discipline with up to 3 years of relevant experience.
- Expected to achieve EngTech TMICE (Senior Engineering Technician).
- Expected to have completed development objectives for IEng (Design Engineer).
- Good communication and listening skills.
- Discusses career goals and aspirations, Ability to listen, understand and follow instructions.
- Issuing clear and precise instructions to less experienced team members. Able to draft responses to straight forward queries.
- Willing to participate and contribute to company social activities. Acts in best interest of the team at all times.
- Willingness to accept individual responsibilities and to share information and knowledge with team members.
- Shows flexibility in work tasks and location within the project group and other teams.
- Able to adjust to changing priorities.
- Proactively seek out advice and counsel from senior engineers.
- Offers technical guidance to less experienced team members.
- Displays appropriate levels of assertiveness.
- Demonstrates initiative and basic leadership skills to give directions in a small work group.
- Responsive to meeting internal and external client requirements.
- Responsible for completion of assigned tasks to time and cost.
- Responsible for assigning and monitoring work delegated to colleagues through to completion.
- Organising and Planning. Ability to plan and prioritise tasks of self and team members to deadlines, multiple assignments and changing priorities.
- Involvement / Integration. Contributes towards team, business, and company objectives.
- Engages with peers within the team. Effective and reliable team member able to apply knowledge gained.
- Maintains relationships with peers based in overseas offices.
- Motivation and Energy.
- Contributes to team motivation. Exhibits energy and enthusiasm.
- Ability to probe and challenge to enhance understanding.
- Produces high quality, value added work.
- Managing packages of work with minimal supervision.
- Technical training should be near to completion.
- Demonstrates competent technical understanding on regular projects
- Taking responsibility for their own work and producing higher quality technical output and beginning to guide assistant engineers and graduates.
- Design Engineers with typically up to 3 years of relevant experience for master’s graduates and typically 5 years of relevant experience for bachelor’s graduates.
What we offer at Atkins?
At Atkins, you will enjoy a robust rewards package which includes:
- Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes.
- Competitive salary.
- Group Insurance.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- Learning and development programs, training, career opportunities.
The masculine gender is used only to simplify the wording.
Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
In today’s global market, diverse groups make better decisions and that better decisions lead to better business results, as such Atkins proactively recruiting and onboarding candidates from a diverse and talented applicant pool.
Please review Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy and are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
Note to staffing and direct hire agencies:
In the event a recruiter or agency who are not on our preferred supplier list submits a resume/candidate to anyone in the company, SNC-Lavalin family of companies, we explicitly reserve the right to recruit and hire the candidate(s) at our discretion and without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. https://careers.snclavalin.com/recruitment-agencies
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs