Design Managers / Design & Safety Managers / Associates
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin, is one of the world’s leading multi-disciplinary consultancy firms offering unparalleled opportunities for talented individuals in search of a rewarding career.
Our Atkins UK Infrastructure Design & Advanced Technology Practice (D&AT) has an exciting opportunity for a Heavy Civil Structural Engineering Design Manager to provide delivery leadership and develop new and current opportunities across a range of projects, Clients and sectors. Whilst this role is being advertised particularly for heavy civil structural engineering across our major projects, there are opportunities within other civil engineering disciplines depending on the individual’s experience and expertise.
This key post will offer a challenging and rewarding opportunity to apply knowledge, experience and problem-solving skills, whilst also providing good opportunities for career development. The post will include provision of delivery and technical leadership on major projects, and whilst the post will be based in either our Epsom or London offices, it will likely involve secondment into Client organisations in key strategic technical roles on major projects or programmes.
Our D&AT Practice is inspired by Atkins vision to be the world's best infrastructure consultancy. We are a diverse practice, working in multiple sectors and across multiple civil engineering disciplines. Our people are focused on our routes to market and are driven to deliver for our clients, improve efficiencies, develop and exploit cutting edge technology, deliver safe and sustainable solutions, and develop our leaders of tomorrow.
The Design Manager will be responsible for (but not limited to) the following activities:
- Managing, coordinating and delivering technically challenging projects on time, within budget and to the desired quality;
- Managing a single or multi-functional design team responsible for delivering projects in accordance with client’s requirements
- Coordinating design activities across various disciplines within the design team;
- Comfortable with interfacing with the Client and other design team members regarding the production of information in line with agreed deliverables
- Design Team Leader for civil and structural designs
- Expanding the Atkins business and assisting with the delivery of business targets
- Working with our key clients to maintain and develop excellent professional relationships which can secure repeat business;
- Preparing bids, draft and negotiate consultancy contracts
- Provide leadership from both a technical delivery and people management perspective
- Coordinating with global resource leaders within Atkins to share work and to work collaboratively across the Atkins Group:
- Liaison with clients around technical solutions to heavy civil engineering challenges
- Production and review of designs for projects in accordance with relevant design standards and codes
- Leadership of technical aspects of bids and estimating manning requirements
- Management of sections / projects to programme and budget
- Management and development of engineers and technicians
- Chartered Civil / Structural Engineer or equivalent with significant experience of heavy civils / structures commissions on large infrastructure projects including site based implementation and ideally nuclear safety-related structures.
- Market sector experience across a range of Infrastructure projects but ideally some exposure to Energy projects
- Excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills both verbal and written, at all levels and across disciplines
- A hard working and flexible individual, who is a team player, possesses good attention to detail, is reliable, proactive and shows initiative whilst able to keep cool under pressure and when working to often demanding deadlines.
- Knowledge of current design codes relating to Civil and Heavy Civil Engineering
- Experience of reinforced concrete design experience
- Experience of blast and structure design (desirable)
- Experience of seismic design (desirable)
- Proven track record in design delivery
- Ability to effectively manage and motivate a team and demonstrate good leadership qualities
- Demonstrates an appreciation of other disciplines and ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams
- Recognises commercial risks and minimises impact
- Proven track record of successful Client Management. Customer focused with excellent client relationship management skills
- Familiar with BIM and has an understanding of 3D modelling tools for design and coordination purposes and the associated Information attributes that can be assigned and managed within the Model
- Self-motivated and able to work both independently as well as within a larger multi-discipline team
- Is familiar with the issues and management surrounding project delivery from multiple design centres, including the use of off shore facilities
- Ability to adapt to different cultures and working environments to build rapport with clients and team members alike
- Be available to travel across the UK and work away from home, with potential periods overseas on assignments, when required
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.