Design Team Leader – Highways
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Design Team Leader – Highways
We're looking for someone who has an appetite for technical delivery, change and growth around Highways engineering — as soon as you solve one complex conundrum, you'll move onto the next and like nothing better than challenging goals to applying smart technical design solutions in new ways. You are a high energy, natural team leader and motivator, with a demonstrable aptitude for risk and innovative thinking.
With a nurturing, yet commercial approach to ideas generation, proposition development and delivery, you clearly want to deliver - for yourself, for your team, for the project, for Atkins and for your client.
Known for approaching things in different ways, you are endlessly creative, innovative and curious with a team collaborative spirit. You get a buzz from being light on your feet as you make constant adjustments to current and changing contexts.
As soon as you're presented with a problem, you are focused on how to resolve it, whatever it might be. You like to immerse yourself and won't rest until you have a solution. You’re a learner – compelled to make the best of both your own and teams’ abilities and talents, as well as to continually build upon them.
You want to make a real contribution to this exciting and industry leading Highways project within a forward-thinking organisation. You thrive in an innovative environment and are also compelled to help others around you to feel empowered to pursue new ideas in the way they work.
You don't just tackle these things alone. You like to engage with others, and especially enjoy encouraging other people to develop and grow. You enjoy explaining complex ideas, helping people to 'get it', and then watch them go on and achieve more.
And overall, you get satisfaction from leading your team, building relationships, with clients and with colleagues, valuing emotional capital. You enjoy getting to know people and working out how you can have a positive impact on them — whether that's delivering something that a client needs, helping someone to progress within the organization, or discovering a new approach that will change the world of transportation.
Does this sound like you? Do you feel a sense of excitement from reading this? In which case, we'd love you to apply for this role.
About the Project
Atkins has been appointed by Highways England to deliver detailed design and associated consulting services for the asset improvement schemes planned for the east of England, helping to look after 1500 miles of strategic highways and over 2000 structures .
About the role
As a Design Team Leader position, you will need a high level of project management competence, with experience developed through a highway engineering background. You will help to deliver part of a major portfolio of highway renewal and improvement works, embracing collaborative working and helping to drive cashable efficiencies for Highways England across the Eastern region of the UK.
You will be responsible for both team leadership and operational management, ensuring that your projects are delivered in accordance with the highest quality standards, Highways England’s imperatives and the Annual Commercial Plan.
There are multiple roles at this level, based across our 3 core delivery offices (Highways England Offices in Bedford or one of our Atkins offices in either Chelmsford or Cambridge).
What you will be doing?
- You will be delivering highway design projects through all stages of the project lifecycle, including fee estimates, initiation, planning, managing, controlling and closing projects using appropriate controls and software.
- You’ll be driving the high performance of your own design team, as well as developing diverse and entrepreneurial capabilities for them and with a much broader teams of our brilliant people.
- You will also be generating work breakdown structures (WBS) appropriate to the scale of the project, as well as producing and working to project schedules determining; durations, effort, sequencing and input dependencies (including stakeholder inputs) monitoring actual against baseline.
- Establishing budgets using Earned Value Management and other appropriate techniques for effective cost planning, effectively managing contingency, risk and cash flow.
- Risk management is a big part of the role, there you will ensure effective risk management strategies are implemented and delivered throughout.
- You will also need to ensure that all project contributors effectively manage resources to ensure the delivery of the key performance indicators for the project.
- Though first and foremost, we want to recruit the right people to the team. We will then always aim to work with individuals to make sure that their role plays to their natural strengths.
You’ll need to have
- Member of the Association of Project Managers or the Institution of Civil Engineers or equivalent experience
- Experience of building and managing diverse engineering highways design teams.
- Excellent communication skills, with the proven ability to motivate, coach and develop team members at all levels (early careers, through to experienced engineers).
- Proven highways design consultancy experience with great examples of leading and delivering Highways England projects.
Atkins is ranked as one of ‘The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For’ and as one of the ‘The Times Top 50 Employers for Women’. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations. Our commitment to staff development is underpinned by numerous stable and long-term framework agreements with key clients.
We are one of the world’s foremost engineering and design consultancies, operating in most regions of the world, and in virtually every market. Choosing to work for Atkins will provide you with the opportunity to engage on some of the most exciting engineering challenges of our time. Together with our rewarding and flexible packages, you’ll have the perfect balance to bring your personal and career goals to fruition.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.