This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Join our cross-sector Transportation team and you’ll help us deliver innovative solutions to the biggest transportation challenges in the UK and beyond. You’ll turn ideas into reality with the award-winning engineering consultancy behind smart motorways and intelligent transport and you’ll improve the everyday lives of millions of people. So, help us move the world forward, one step at a time. This is your time to make a difference.
We are looking for a Transportation Drainage Engineer with broad ranging experience in highway and/or rail drainage design to join our Transportation team in either Manchester or Warrington.
You will be responsible for designing drainage elements of significant highway and/or rail drainage infrastructure projects, delivering to the highest technical standards and quality targets. You will be an experienced drainage designer with proven ability who takes ownership and responsibility for design solutions.
- Working within a multi-disciplinary team of engineers, technicians and other professionals to develop drainage designs for highways or rail projects from concept through to detailed design and construction.
- Production of drainage designs, models, calculations and drawings to current design standards including the design of sustainable drainage solutions.
- Co-ordinating the drainage design process and integrating with associated highways, rail, environmental, geotechnical and structural engineering designs.
- Arranging and supervising the completion of drainage surveys.
- Assigning tasks, monitoring progress and checking of designs prepared by graduates and technicians.
- Preparing specifications; tender and contract documents and providing support to site during the construction process.
- Ensuring compliance with business management standards set in the company’s quality, safety and environmental policies and procedures.
- Liaison with clients and key stakeholders including attendance at meetings.
- Preparation and presentation of progress and technical reports for discussion at client and key stakeholder meetings.
- Supporting the discipline leads and/or project manager with the development of design solutions and the management of the project, including supervision duties.
- Delivering designs to a high quality on time and to budget.
- Contributing to project processes such as risk management and change control.
- Instigate and maintain business management systems and compilation of associated project specific documentation.
- Mentoring and supporting the development of graduates and technicians.
- Able to work collaboratively and integrate into multi-disciplinary teams or work independently.
- Providing technical input to the preparation of bids including input on drainage strategy and development of scope, price and programme for the completion of drainage activities.
- Chartered Engineer (or working to) and Member of a Professional Institution (relevant discipline)
- Experience of working on Highways England, Local Authority or Network Rail drainage design projects.
- Experience of the current standards (DMRB / Network Rail) and Construction Design Management Regulations (CDM).
- Ability to design all aspects of drainage from concept to detailed design.
- Experience of design interfaces (e.g. highways, rail, geotechnical, environmental, structural etc.)
- Proficient in the use of hydraulic modelling software such as Micro Drainage.
- Proficient in AutoCAD / Civil3D or similar.
- Familiarity with 3D design tools and BIM.
- Ability to prepare reports and specifications and to collect and assimilate other data and statistics necessary for the preparation of progress and technical reports.
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office software particularly MS Excel and Word.
- Awareness of the regulatory framework associated with planning and approval regulations/processes, together with experience of managing a transportation drainage project through the planning process.
- Experience of site, construction contracts and of site management desirable.
- Identify and respond to our clients’ values in a competitive market sector. Candidates are required to be self-motivated and able to work both independently as well as within a larger multi-disciplinary team in leading and managing packages of work to completion, within budget and to programme.
- Experience of developing and agreeing project scopes and managing budgets, programmes and quality of deliverables.
- Experience of working with external stakeholders, e.g. liaison with utilities companies, Local Authorities, statutory bodies (e.g. Environment Agency) etc.
- Excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills both verbally and in writing
- A hard working and flexible individual, a team player, who has great attention to detail, is reliable, shows initiative and is proactive and able to deliver to set deadlines.
- Be available to travel across the UK and work occasionally away from home, including periods on overseas assignments
- Confident and professional manner.
- Be well organised with good time management skills. Works to deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Ability to prioritise tasks and maintain a focus on agreed targets.
- Good team working skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Supportive approach to mentoring less experienced members of the team.
- Ability to adapt to different cultures and working environments to build rapport with clients and the whole project team.
- Good leadership qualities.
- Customer focused with excellent relationship management skills.
- Desirable to have experience of working for both private and public sector clients and an appreciation of the different drivers and approach to management and procurement.
- Hold a valid UK driving licence.
We encourage career progression within Atkins and would expect to work with you in developing your career aspirations through staff appraisal, offering a range of opportunities and appropriate training designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.