Senior Electrical, Control & Instrumentation Engineer
We are seeking a Chartered (or working towards chartership) Senior Engineer who thrives on making a strong personal contribution and who is motivated to help make the organisation a little better every day. You want to deliver – for the client, for the business and for yourself.
We require an engineer who wants to solve and deliver electrical, control and instrumentation engineering solutions to customers and who aspires to mentor and develop other members of the team from a management and/or technical perspective.
Working for our Nuclear business you will be part of a team of electrical, control and instrumentation engineering professionals. You will primarily act as a single point of contact for clients.
The role will require good communication skills with both the client and the wider ATKINS engineering and management teams. You will also be responsible for taking ownership of, and sourcing solutions to, any engineering problems that arise in completion of the projects/tasks.
You should be adept at undertaking technical work individually or leading a project team and to take responsibility for managing the delivery to agreed timescales and within budget, working closely with clients within their premises as well as remotely, managing your peers, developing opportunities and winning work.
Day-to-day activities may include:
- Full lifecycle of activities from requirements capture, through front end and detailed design, implementation oversight and support and testing and commissioning together with design substantiation, this may include:
- Preparing tenders/quotations to customer specifications ensuring diligent costing to minimise financial risks.
- Reviewing project specifications to ensure clarity of tenders/quotations.
- Front end engineering and detailed design package generation for projects.
- Control and management of approved sub contractors to complete project work.
- Authoring / Verifying all associated design documentation as required for a project
E.g. Design substantiation reports, safety case assessment, system and design assessment reports, system specification, process control and operating philosophies, P&IDs, cable block diagrams and architecture diagrams, hook-ups, loop and termination diagrams.
- Leading Projects including refurbishments of old ageing design and new design, and with a wide range of electrical, control and instrumentation equipment, analogue (non-smart) and digital (smart) instrumentation and systems (relay based, solid state, PLC).
- Safety Case involvement and reliability engineering.
- Capturing customer and project data for clients when visiting sites in support of the company’s business development activities.
- Building strong relationships with clients to develop further opportunities for ATKINS.
- Communicating effectively with ATKINS project team ensuring positive working relationships to encourage the flow of project information.
- Representing the company in all project related activities.
- Specifying EC&I equipment, assessment and design justifications (including compliance with International/British Standards, client Technical Standards and Guidance Notes).
- Internal document verification to ATKINS/Customer quality processes and approval of design drawings.
- Be responsible for complying with all relevant Health & Safety legislation and guidance.
You’ll enjoy taking on a range of challenges, some technical, some wider business oriented; all of which help us to run a strong business. You’ll want to work with/lead customers and teams who deliver to our clients and you’ll be adaptable and happy to cope with uncertainty. You will have an understanding of the full lifecycle of activities from requirements capture, through front end and detailed design, implementation oversight and support and testing and commissioning together with design substantiation.
You know when tackle these things alone and when to discuss and agreeing how to solve complex issues with your colleagues. And overall, you get satisfaction from building relationships, with clients and with colleagues. You enjoy getting to know people, and working out how you can have a positive impact on them – whether delivering something for a client, or helping to win more work.
In addition to having excellent communication and problem-solving skills you will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Chartership status or significant progress towards its achievement
- Experience in safety control systems
- Experience in leading and developing others
- Electrical, Control and Instrumentation Engineering expertise, Degree qualified or equivalent.
- A track record of working as an Electrical and/or Control & Instrumentation Engineer within the Nuclear Industry (preferable) or other highly regulated industry.
- A strong Commercial awareness.
- Experience in Safety Case production is desirable although not essential.
- An ability to apply project and client management principles.
- A strong understanding of what’s required for design, when working in safety critical industries, like Nuclear.
- An understanding of the fundamental factors which contribute to business success
- A strong understanding of the different activities that are undertaken as part of a project lifecycle (planning, requirements capture, high level design, detailed design, manufacture, testing, substantiation, etc.)
As part of our Energy business, our Nuclear Electrical, Control & Instrumentation Team specialises in delivering electrical, control and instrumentation focussed engineering project to clients across industry. With existing relationships in Nuclear, both Civil and Defence sectors, as well as the wider energy market, we bring technical know-how from across the design lifecycle to help solve our client’s problems. We see integrated design services as a growth area and based in Bristol as part of the Electrical, Control & Instrumentation Team, we form part of a wider Energy business which gives us unrivalled access to significant players in all parts of the industry offering breadth of diversity and opportunity.
- This is an exciting time for Atkins, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, while also continuing to grow our Energy sector in the UK. There will be opportunities for international travel and applicants with a desire for non-UK based assignments will be welcomed.
- Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
- Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career in engineering, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
- Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all of our engineers.
Reward & Benefits:
Please refer to our website for full details of our benefits package, which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.