Ecological Clerk of Works
Atkins, a member of SNC Lavalin won the CIEEM 2018 Large-Scale Consultancy of the Year Award and was Highly Commended in 2019 – we are also one of the world’s leading engineering, design and project management consultancies. We work on challenging and exciting projects across a range of market sectors including transportation, cities, water, energy and defence.
To meet our growing project workload we are looking for multiple Ecological Clerk of Works, joining our site based team in Bletchley, UK to work within the East West Rail Alliance. These roles will be fixed term 12/24 month appointments.
The Alliance is a Pure Alliance consisting of three Non-Owner Participants (NOPs); Atkins Global, Laing O’Rourke, Volker Rail Ltd and the Owner Participant (OP) Network Rail.
East West Rail (EWR) Phase 2 is a programme in excess of one billion pounds which will provide a strategic route linking key centres of economic activity between Oxford, Milton Keynes, Aylesbury and Bedford. The ecological elements of this are exciting and involve innovative solutions to complex issues.
What you will be doing
- Ecological Clerk or Works, supporting the Section Ecologists in the delivery of ecological mitigation and support of construction works for the Alliance.
- ECoWs will report to their respective Section Ecologist and methods of works will need be agreed in accordance with authorised supporting documentation for that task (e.g. Precautionary Methods of Working or Natural England development licences).
- Responsible for assuring that ecological mitigation measures are implemented onsite and that construction activities are legally compliant and that all the necessary paperwork (e.g. licences) are complied with. Tasks will also include construction of advanced mitigation sites, monitoring of mitigation features and monitoring surveys.
- Ecological supervision of mitigation installations, supervision of construction or early / enabling / preparation works
- Provide on-site ecological advice to site teams
- Assess compliance of construction against design
- Deliver tool box talks and site briefings
- Preparation of Task Briefs and Work Package Plans, as required
- Preparation of Alliance documentation e.g. (Precautionary Methods of Working and Ecological Inspection Permits), as required
- Attendance at landowner / consultee meetings, construction meetings, as required
- Attendance at inductions and other mandatory / relevant training
- Production of daily / weekly ECoW logs when attending site
- Stakeholder engagement and local community group liaison, as required
Ideally, you would have the following qualifications and/or attributes:
- A degree in ecology or closely related field;
- Membership of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM);
- Good working knowledge of UK and EU Wildlife Legislation, planning policies, licensing requirements and best practice survey techniques;
- Be capable at undertaking a range of surveys and a range of reporting;
- Great crested newt and bat survey licence would be beneficial;
- Experience in implementing or constructing licensable mitigation such as construction of artificial badger setts, otter holts, bat houses and GCN and reptile fencing
- Rail Track Safety competence and experience in working in live rail environments;
- A current ICI competence and valid CSCS card;
- Excellent communication skills; and
- A full valid UK/EEC driving licence (ability to operate a 4×4 vehicle safely would be beneficial).
What we offer
In addition to competitive core benefits, Atkins operates a flexible benefits programme which includes the ability to buy up to 15 days of extra holiday each year, a cycle to work scheme and a 24/7 confidential Employee Assistance Programme, private health care, amongst many other options.
Atkins is committed to developing the knowledge and skills of our ecologists. As well as providing a training budget, the successful candidate will benefit from tailored mentoring and support towards achieving their career goals, such as Chartership and beyond.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability. #LI-Infrastructure