Electrical Engineer- I&C
Electrical Engineer- I&C
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Electrical Engineer - I&C
Why join us?
We are hiring! The Electrical Engineer - I&C is an integral part of our team that is involved in many different aspects of instrumentation and controls. This position is based out of our office in Oak Ridge, TN.
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
How will you contribute to the team?
- Applies knowledge of engineering principles to design products such as programmable logic control systems (PLCs), instrumentation and interlock logic circuits. Conversant in the selection of commercially available equipment, which may include PLCs, variable-frequency drives (VFDs), viewing systems. May be involved in operation, application, installation commissioning and/or repair of C&I systems.
- Performs a variety of engineering calculations using traditional engineering methods to document compliance with project and code requirements, which may include, volt drop, conductor sizing, industrial network loading calculations.
- Generates, and is fully conversant with loop diagrams, control architectural drawings/specifications, instrumentation specifications, data sheets, control philosophy documents and Control System Specification.
- Assists in the preparation and approval of design documents and plant modifications, including supervision of designers in document development in accordance with approved procedures, processes and design requirements.
- Provides technical expertise and guidance to develop, manage and implement engineering analysis, activities and programs to identify and resolve equipment and system problems.
- Familiar with national codes and standards appropriate to the C&I Engineering discipline. (eg ISA series, IEC series)
- Ensures relevant design criteria, specifications, practices, procedures and codes and site design and safety and licensing basis are used in preparation of design media.
- Interfaces with staff, within the team and supporting subcontractors to ensure work is being completed in a safe and efficient manner, ensuring that safety is an integral element embodied in equipment design and specification.
- Works in multi-discipline teams on project-based work and ensures integration of design across multiple disciplines.
- Performs checking to ensure accuracy of design media in accordance with company policies and procedures and client expectations.
- Works on a timeline, ensuring the accuracy, completeness and timeliness of work and initiates corrective measures to overcome delays.
- Understands, complies and is responsible for working to environmental health and safety policies and procedures and attends meetings as required. Provides supervision and leadership to members of the design team, commensurate with seniority.
- Recommends new equipment, concepts and techniques to improve performance, simplify design, reduce costs, correct design flaws, or to comply with changes in client requirements, codes or regulations.
- Performs independent research, reviews, studies and analyses in support of plant changes and design modifications.
- Supports installation and testing of site systems and components.
- Participates in the preparation of cost estimates for engineering services to internal and external clients and coordinates work assignments to meet project-established schedules and budgets.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
What will you contribute?
- Bachelor's degree required in electrical engineering (instruments, controls, or similar) or related technical degree or equivalent
- Engineer-in-Training (EIT), with ability to gain Professional Engineering License preferred
- Requires U.S. Citizenship
- 2 years of experience preferred
- Effective communication skills
- Basic knowledge of C&I Systems design software (eg SPI) and Microsoft Office
- Basic knowledge of functional discipline and its practical application
- Basic knowledge of industry codes and regulations
What we offer at Atkins:
At Atkins, you will enjoy a robust rewards package which includes:
- Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes
- Competitive salary
- Flexible work schedules
- Group Insurance
- Retirement Savings Plan with employer match
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Learning and development programs, training, career opportunities and a highly regarded tuition reimbursement program
If this sounds like you and you would like to expand your career with us, apply today!
Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please review Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy and are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Note to staffing and direct hire agencies:
In the event a recruiter or agency who is not on our preferred supplier list submits a resume/candidate to anyone in the company, SNC-Lavalin family of companies, we explicitly reserve the right to recruit and hire the candidate(s) at our discretion and without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. https://careers.snclavalin.com/recruitment-agencies
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs