Electrical Engineer - Leeds
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Atkins, an SNC-Lavalin company, is a world-leader in engineering and design consultancy and construction; we have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects. Applying a networked management approach, and with a focus on staff empowerment, trust and agility, our fast-paced business can match your ambitions. The Infrastructure division is currently looking for a Electrical Engineer to join our mechanical, electrical and process (MEP) team in Leeds and we plan to utilise your skills to provide innovative multidisciplinary engineering solutions for our clients.
The national MEP practice is a well-established, multidisciplinary, water engineering team. We have an extensive portfolio of UK and International projects, helping our clients address asset creation, process improvement and plant optimisation needs. Our locally focused teams incorporate expert process, mechanical and electrical engineers who provide a multidisciplinary approach to solving our clients’ problems in creating, managing, building and investing in water and wastewater infrastructure.
By drawing on the experience and knowledge of our worldwide mechanical engineering technical network you will be encouraged to enhance your continuing professional development through developing and exploiting ground-breaking technological engineering advances within the water industry. From this class-leading technical foundation, your abilities will be developed to allow you to craft innovative, sustainable solutions and help us and our clients to take advantage of the digital revolution and embed resilience in our delivered solutions. And you will help us let the world know just how good you and we are at this!
Why work with us?
As electrical and instrumentation, control and automation engineers we have a deep understanding of the current technologies implemented at treatment plants. We know that treating water and waste water to the right quality at the lowest whole life cost and carbon is fundamental. This is enabled with smart, efficient and experienced electrical and ICA engineering. Smart EICA engineering starts by understanding the fundamentals and current technology trends in the water/process engineering sector. By applying our knowledge, experience and tools we deliver innovative and cost-effective power and control solutions to our clients – these include LV (and HV) power systems, motor control centres, process instrumentation, process automation and state of the art control systems. We provide industry-leading EICA engineering services right through the project lifecycle, with value added in particular during the feasibility, outline and detailed design stages. Additionally, we provide several specialist service offerings such as systems modelling, DSEAR/ATEX and functional safety all of which differentiate our service offering and capability.
We employ a range of proprietary and in-house developed digital tools. We create and use intelligent P+IDs, 3D designs, plant visualization and virtual reality techniques to immerse the designer and the operator in the solutions we create. We use industry leading electrical design packages and power systems analysis software. Additionally, we have our own suit of intelligent design schedules and MCC design tool all developed in-house by our engineers.
Our people demonstrate thought leadership and align us with our clients’ values and desired outcomes at project and programme level. We champion sustainable, best value solutions and deliver them more effectively by being, individually and collectively, faster, smarter and more reliable.
Detailed role requirements:
- Educated to masters level with an electrical engineering bias and working towards Chartered status with af a recognised engineering institution.
- Computer-literate and able to work effectively work with the basic Microsoft suite of programmes as a minimum
- Experience within the water and/or wastewater engineering sector
- Ability to provide a customer-focussed service.
- Understanding of water and wastewater treatment technologies; an interest in developing and/or exploiting new and emerging technologies and techniques
- Ability to complete assignments on time, within budget and to a high technical standard
- A good understanding of the design process
- Willingness to contribute to our technical knowledge networks
- Willingness to get involved in business development
- A desire to make project delivery more efficient through the use of digital tools or products and challenge traditional project delivery models.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Well-motivated, with a positive outlook and approachable manner
- Capable of building and maintaining strong relationships with colleagues and clients
- Ability to be flexible and to multi-task and prioritise when necessary
- Flexible and able to work within the rest of the UK and overseas (for short durations), as work demands and if necessary
Responsibilities (will vary depending on project and client)
- Asset surveys and assessments, using cutting-edge technologies and techniques as appropriate
- Feasibility, outline and detailed electrical and ICA design work (transformers, generators, LVSB, MCC, instrumentation, PLC, SCADA, telemetry etc.) including equipment and system specifications, design schedules, drawings: SLDs, BCDs, earthing, systems architecture diagrams, user requirement specifications (URS/FDS), technical design risk assessments, P&IDs, cost and programme estimations
- Electrical and ICA supplier design and equipment assessment and evaluation
- Technical report writing at all stages of the project lifecycle
- Liaison with clients within the UK and worldwide.
- Support bids, fee proposals; development of activity schedules/work plans
- Understanding of HAZOP, DSEAR, CDM, WIMES, British and European Standards and other statutory, regulatory and non-regulatory provisions and guidance
- Meet and exceed our quality, programme, budgetary and H&S requirements on projects
- Delivering projects as a part of multidisciplinary, multi-location, multi-party teams
- Contributing to our technical networks, to broaden your and our skills, experience and technical reputation\
- Working with and developing new automated digital design tools
Our technical networks offer fantastic opportunities for you to grow your experience, expertise and reputation amongst your peers and beyond. Our broad range of projects, and wide pool of expert people will help you and your career grow to suit your aspirations and desires. We will help you to develop professionally and personally through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. Your development plan will be regularly reviewed through an on-going career development process. We actively support staff who seek to achieve membership of relevant professional institutions.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Our Latest Articles