Engineering Co-op Student (Roads and Bridges)
Since 1911, we have been part of society’s progress on five continents … and we’re not done! Our teams bring together some of the most skilled professionals anywhere. People like you, who have the desire to stretch their talents. By joining SNC-Lavalin, you’re seizing the chance to grow with one of the leading consulting firms in the Prairies and this opportunity will give you the chance to go further in your career.
We are currently seeking an Engineering Co-op Student (R&B) from the Environmental Systems or Industrial Systems Engineering Programs for a 16-month term position to join our diverse and experienced team beginning in May 2020.
In this position you will work as a key member of the Roads & Bridges team located in Regina, Saskatchewan. The successful candidate(s) will be mentored by a variety of highly specialized transportation professionals and will gain valuable experience in the transportation/infrastructure consulting industry working for a variety of clients.
This Co-op position will provide comprehensive training in health and safety as well as performing materials testing on various construction materials such as asphalt, soil, aggregate, concrete, etc. There is a strong requirement for QA/QC procedures, coordination of project testing, reporting, and teamwork. This position requires significant field work, allowing you to apply your knowledge in a construction setting.
This opportunity will introduce you to a great team, helping you build key skills that you will need as a field technologist, specifically the application of material properties in construction. The experience gained while working in this position can be used towards earning a professional designation.
- Conducting materials testing in accordance with ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) and CSA (Canadian Standards Association) on various materials such as asphalt, soil, aggregates, concrete, etc.
- Density testing in-place using a nuclear densometer
- Quantity tracking and quality assurance monitoring as a field checker on surfacing projects
- Topographic and construction surveying with GPS survey equipment
- Travel to various worksites across Saskatchewan (and possibly out-of-province) as required
- Completion of required project documentation, including assistance with project close-out
- Enthusiastic participation in health and safety programs
- Must be currently enrolled in a Bachelor of Engineering in Environmental Systems or Industrial Systems program
- Valid Saskatchewan class 5 driver’s license with a clean driver’s abstract
- A good understanding of MS Office
- Solid written and oral communication skills
- A commitment to a culture of workplace safety
- Ability to work and travel throughout the Saskatchewan, with the potential for out-of-province work
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision or as a member of a team
- Exceptional organizational and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated and a high level of energy
- Previous experience working on roadway construction projects is an asset
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status or and other characteristics protected by law.
While SNC-Lavalin would like to thank all those that apply, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.