Engineering Geophysicist - Epsom
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
We have a great opportunity in our Epsom office for an ambitious Engineering Geophysicist to join our experienced and dynamic team, to help deliver a range of projects, primarily in the offshore renewables sector.
With more than 300 professionals, Atkins’ ground engineering reputation is built on the skills, excellence and commitment of our people in all aspects of ground engineering. We see a bright future as we adapt and strengthen our technical expertise in growth areas, such as Energy and Major Infrastructure.
This is a fantastic opportunity to take a leading role in the ground engineering input to some of our most challenging projects, such as ground modelling work for the offshore renewables market globally.
Requirements: The successful applicant will be an Engineering Geophysicist with a proven track record.
Candidates should have:
- A strong academic background with a relevant degree (ideally MSc or equivalent) with geophysics content
- Experience of acting as an Engineering Geophysicist in a contracting or consulting environment
- Experience in the interpretation of seismic reflection data
- Strong ability to assess complex geological problems and strong understanding of regional geological processes.
- Excellent interpersonal and technical skills and the ability to work independently or as part of a team on 3D ground modelling projects.
- Excellent report writing skills with the ability to self-check and produce accurate work
- A willingness to travel on assignments both within the UK and overseas
- Depth of skills to allow the candidate to work on other offshore and terrestrial projects in a geological role
- Working towards chartership with the Geological Society of London (GSL)
The following qualities are desirable:
- Understanding of offshore geophysical data acquisition and processing (e.g. Loading and QA of SEG-Y data, tidal, layback, swell corrections etc.
- Experience in the use of IHS Kingdom software for seismic interpretation and 3D ground modelling.
- Experience in the use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software (ArcGIS, QGIS or similar)
- Experience in scoping and specification of geophysical surveys, primarily in the offshore environment
- Experience in and willingness to supervise offshore geophysical and geotechnical surveys
- Appreciation of state-of-the-art seismic inversion techniques
- UK BOSIET trained
The learning and development experience in our Ground Engineering team is different to that at most other companies. Here we thoroughly recognise the importance of our people and we invest for the long term to provide them with the technical, commercial and managerial expertise they need throughout their career. At Atkins our staff continue to learn and develop irrespective of their position or experience.
Our investment includes our acclaimed technical conferences, regular presentations and discussion groups, field trips, bespoke training courses as well as active on the job mentoring. Fulfilling learning and development experiences include the opportunity for international assignments in a variety of countries.
We welcome the opportunity to discuss a flexible working pattern for this vacancy. For roles advertised under the category of flexible working we would encourage you to explore the flexible working options we are able to offer during the interview process.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance