Engineering/IT Project Manager
Engineering/IT Project Manager
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
One of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, we’re driven to ask ‘why’ and make the world a better place – today and tomorrow. Our award-winning consultants take a hands-on role, enabling the delivery including Digital and Cyber transformational change and providing advice to make sure a variety of innovative solutions deliver real business benefits. Our wide-ranging clients come from sectors including defence, security, government, airports, transport, utilities and infrastructure. Our team members come from diverse backgrounds that cover the spectrum of services giving them an innovative and creative approach that is key to its success. Everyone in the team is passionate about their work and the value that they can deliver.
At Atkins we offer a world of opportunities, from the projects you’ll work on to the wide variety of career paths you can pursue. You will take responsibility for delivering Atkins consulting IT and engineering projects to a diverse range of private and public sector clients. Our learning and development support will help you develop the industry skills that our clients seek and value.
We are looking to attract experienced candidates with a proven delivery and consulting background with an emphasis on Project Management within IT and Engineering Design disciplines.
The successful candidate will have recognised Project Management qualifications and have been engaged in delivery management and consulting roles with typically at least 5 years work experience gained in either a private or public-sector organisation.
We have Eng/IT Project Manager positions available within Atkins ADS&T as part of the continued growth of our Portfolio, Programme and Project Management (P3M) Delivery Practice. The roles are suitable for candidates who have a background in Project Management in complex IT, software development, research and engineering environments.
Many of our clients are challenged with complex stakeholder communities, supply chains and approvals processes so excellent client facing skills as well as proven supply chain management experience is essential. Based in our P3M Delivery Practice, you will primarily be leading Multi-disciplinary Atkins IT and Engineering Design Teams and our suppliers, delivering solutions for our clients. A significant part of the Atkins delivery portfolio is involved in supporting our clients to secure and enhance the defence of the public and nation’s wider interests.
The successful candidate will also be expected to make a contribution to Practice and Business development. This may include leading bid teams as well as developing new business propositions for existing clients or researching potential new markets
Much of the work will be for our government clients in the security and defence sectors, but there may be opportunities for you to expand into other sectors over time. Projects could be UK wide and travel may be required for some assignments.
Requirements - Behavioural
You will be representing Atkins to our clients, so it is key that our values and ways of working are demonstrated within the role:
- Team leadership - experience of successfully leading integrated teams to deliver project outputs and programme outcomes
- Teamwork – the ability to work collaboratively with others and provide help where required
- Communication – high emotional intelligence - listens and questions effectively, concise verbal and written communication skills and effective questioning/listening skills. Able to communicate with confidence at higher and lower levels.
- Flexibility – able to adapt from providing advice on improving client’s delivery to ‘rolling up your sleeves’ to assist clients in delivering key projects and work packages in their portfolio.
- Customer focus – delivers a high level of customer service to our external and internal customers, understanding the customer’s problem they are trying to solve.
- Achievement – someone who looks to exceed client aspirations, is goal driven and manages obstacles.
- Exhibits energy, pride and determination in meeting targets and overcoming challenges
- Initiative – ability to analyse data and situations, break down work into key tasks and activities
- Development – wants to continually develop new skills in themselves and others through continuous professional development and other means
- Collegiate – able to manage client demands whilst also contributing to the development of the P3M Delivery Practice
- Safety, ethics and integrity – embraces and uphold Atkins high professional standards at all times
- Advocacy – is an ambassador for our wider business at all times
Requirements – Technical
A good working knowledge and demonstrable experience in most of the following areas of Project Delivery management:
- Proven track record of successful delivery of Projects and Programmes in the public or private sector; likely to have at least 5 years’ experience. Membership of the APM/Chartered Project Professional (ChPP) status is desirable.
- Computer Science or Engineering related Degree with background experience in a technical discipline would be seen as an advantage.
- Recognised P3M qualification (Prince2, APM P, MoR, MSP), Agile experience e.g. Scrum, SaFE or DSDM is desirable
- Experience and understanding of delivering IT Software Development, Infrastructure or Engineering solutions within complex environments
- Good knowledge and experience of implementing and operating Project Governance, Controls and Reporting including Planning, Risks/Issues, Finance and Change Management. Tools; experience with P6, Microsoft Project, JIRA or similar is desirable
- Strong commercial awareness with experience of managing to a contract (ideally NEC 3/4 experience) and able to effectively manage Scope and Change both internally and externally.
- Experience of managing Third Party suppliers and their associated contracts.
- Good knowledge of financial processes including project cost control and ability to interpret and report financial data and analysis
- Experience of managing 3rd Party Suppliers, utilising a variety of contracting methods (e.g. T&M, Firm Price)
- Experience in the Defence sector is desirable.
UK Mobile, whilst operating from a base Office in Aldershot. Prepared if required to undergo security clearance for working at clients in the UK Public sector
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment.
We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
Diversity & Inclusion
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs