Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients' problems head-on. It's a diverse and inclusive work environment where world-class talent knows no distinctions.
We know that different people have different priorities, which is why we're here to support you. Flexible and remote working is a central part of our culture. So, talk to us about what's ideal for you – from reduced weeks to buying more leave over school holidays. And if you're returning from a career break, ask us how we can help you transition back into work with us.
Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planners and consultants. The unique breadth of services in Transportation, combined with our scale, makes Atkins the leading UK transportation infrastructure consultancy. We create a culture and environment to inspire our people, ensure collaboration with our clients and continue to shape the future of mobility.
The UK & Europe Transportation Division in Atkins brings together the capabilities of our key markets, Strategic Highways, Strategic Rail, Local Transport, into a single £450m turnover business of 3,750+ talented engineers and professionals. The transport infrastructure sector is experiencing unprecedented levels of investment and Atkins is playing lead roles in key projects across the UK and Europe from high-speed rail to major road programmes to Digital Railway implementation. It is not just about today, the business is investing and building new capability and services in intelligent mobility, digital asset management and new products for the rail market. Our teams work closely with Government, national and local authorities to deliver integrated transport strategies and solutions that support economic growth and improved journeys for all.
We are looking to recruit a progressive Engineering Manager to join our Project Delivery Practice based in Manchester, delivering projects in the North West & Central Regions. This is an exciting opportunity to join the delivery team with opportunities to develop and lead engineering teams across a growing portfolio of projects with Clients including Network Rail, MerseyRail, Transport for North as well as a number of Principal Contractors.
The Project Delivery Practice leads the most complex, biggest and exciting projects within the UK. The project managers in this team directly influence the lives of people within the UK by improving their passenger experience, making their journeys better and by making the country a greener place to live.
- The Engineering Manager is a senior member of the Project delivery team and the Engineering function and is accountable for the overall engineering leadership and management across the North West & Central portfolio. The role is to ensure technical excellence, assurance and performance across the given region and is critical in ensuring that the technical design and delivery of the region is achievable and will deliver a successful outcome for the client.
- This includes the integration and co-ordination of the technical design and delivery by the internal and external supply chain. The Engineering Manager will also be appointed as the Contractors Engineering Manager (CEM) in accordance with Network Rail Standard NR/L2/INI/02009, Engineering Management for Projects and will be expected to deliver the accountabilities and responsibilities for this role as defined within this standard.
- Providing technical leadership throughout the project lifecycle – supporting with development of tenders, producing and implementing engineering management plans across the portfolio as well as supporting our clients with their assurance processes.
- Effective liaison, interaction and engagement with Project Managers ensuring all stakeholder technical requirements within Region are identified, captured and understood with a clear understanding of the contractual requirements.
- Ensuring design is defined and delivered in accordance with appropriate guidance, standards and client requirements.
- Review new and revised standards
- Leading the integration of design and ensuring designs are delivered in line with the Atkins’ assurance processes across the portfolio
- Provide strategic direction to the region’s Leadership Team on areas of design and delivery.
- Proposing and agreeing Design CRE appointments in conjunction with the Head of Engineering.
- Resolving technical issues and optimising solutions to deliver Value for Money for the benefit of our Clients and the overall programme.
- Identifying, managing and reporting on key technical risks across the portfolio of projects in the NW&C Region.
- Leading the implementation and application of Digital Engineering and Information management across Region.
Experience and Skills
- Significant relevant industry experience in major construction and/or infrastructure projects
- Working knowledge of relevant Network Rail Standards where applicable
- Degree qualified or holds equivalent experience / transferable skills
- Professionally qualified in their core field/ Chartered Engineer
- Excellent track record of performing as Engineering Manager/CEM on complex multidisciplinary UK infrastructure projects (>£5M design fees per annum) from a design perspective, within Consultancy or Principal Contractor environment
- Experience managing design teams within consultancy environment
- Extensive industry network and knowledge of clients and supply chain (consultancies, specialist suppliers, client teams)
- Experience in the use of Project Management techniques
- Experience in the definition and implementation of Risk and Change Management
- Understanding of the programme operations with a strong network and ability to influence and leverage value
Why work for Atkins?
Our Transportation teams are reinventing transport for a challenging yet exciting future. We're creating new ideas and smart solutions for cities, people and the environment. You'll be working alongside some of the top people in our industry, solving challenges that bring together traditional engineering and new technologies. As part of our organisation, you'll be in a privileged position, delivering what's right for governments and communities. You'll be helping us to improve our leading environmental performance while enabling others to do the same.
Meeting your needs
To help you get the most out of life in and outside of work, we offer employees "Total Reward." It's a package that can be tailored to your changing lifestyle, career and personal needs. You'll enjoy benefits such as partner discounts, leadership training, professional, accreditations, and career planning for any stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk through any adjustments you might need.
More about us
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins, ranked as one of LinkedIn’s Top 25 Companies, where UK professionals want to work and stay once they join.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs