Entry Level Coastal Engineer
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business was ranked as the world’s 3rd largest global design firm by ENR in 2018 with nearly 55,000 employees worldwide. We have the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Coastal Group as a Coastal Engineer (EIT). This position will be primarily an office position that will sit in our Melbourne, FL office but the candidate must be comfortable working in the field on an occasional to regular basis. Field work may involve working around heavy equipment, working on boats, working in a variety of coastal environments, and working in varying weather conditions
Under supervision, performs routine engineering work while developing professional proficiency. On design assignments, works to learn how to clearly convey the design intent through engineering drawings and specifications. On assignments involving investigations and planning, works to learn the fundamentals of engineering processes and to apply them successfully to operating systems. On assignments involving construction activities, works to develop an understanding of construction methods and the translation of engineering drawings and specifications into the constructed product. Upholds engineering ethics and standards of conduct.
- Generally applies standard engineering techniques, procedures and criteria in carrying out a sequence of somewhat diversified tasks requiring the use of analysis, interpretation, and deductive reasoning. Work will typically involve project in the coastal / marine environment.
- Tasks associated with these projects will include; assistance with planning/studies/design, CAD drafting and volumetric analysis with AutoCAD/Civil3D, assistance with permitting
- applications and compliance, assistance with specification writing and contract document preparation, and construction observation and reporting.
- Assists in the planning, design, and production of engineering drawings. May supervise the production of these drawings. Carries out specific assignments in preparing and assembling specifications.
- Participates in conducting engineering investigations and planning work by completing well-defined tasks. These tasks may include collection and analysis of data using established procedures, performance of routine calculations, and participation in evaluating the feasibility of alternate solutions.
- Prepares assigned sections of reports working under the close review of a more experienced professional.
- Participates on projects involving construction activities by reviewing shop drawings for conformance with easily interpreted specifications; assists in recordkeeping and in generating progress reports; observes relatively simple construction procedures, and collects samples for quality control testing.
- Performs data acquisition and analysis, researching the feasibility of alternative design approaches, site conditions, and/or regulatory agency specifications or regulations.
- Prepares material for reports and permit applications, gathering information, writing rough outline, and/or preparing work progression documents and graphic presentations.
- Performs engineering calculations.
- Performs field observations of construction where appropriate.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. in Ocean, Coastal, or Civil Engineering required. M.S. in Coastal or Ocean Engineering is a plus. 0-5 years’ experience involving coastal engineering, coastal restoration, coastal studies, coastal structures, and/or dredging preferred. Other related or similar experience may be considered.
- Practical experience with AutoCAD/Civil3D is highly desirable.
- Practical experience with construction activities is highly desirable.
- Good interpersonal skills and capable of developing technical writing, and communications skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office products required.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD/Civil3D is preferred.
- GIS experience is a plus.
- E.I. or EIT desired.
General Competencies expected of all Professionals and Managers are as follows: Client Service, Commitment, Communication, Innovation & Continuous Improvement, Professionalism, Quality, and Teamwork.
Ability to process paper/electronic documents and utilize computer equipment; ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing; ability to visit project sites if necessary. Job also requires ability to assemble and analyze data.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
SNC-Lavalin cares about your privacy. SNC-Lavalin and other subsidiary or affiliated companies of SNC-Lavalin (referred to throughout as “SNC-Lavalin”) are committed to protecting your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to SNC-Lavalin, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Our Latest Articles