As a global multi-disciplinary consultancy, The Aerospace, Defence, Security and Technology (ADS&T) Division within Atkins is currently recruiting for a Environmental Engineers/Consultant in Bristol working in the Defence and Aerospace domains. Atkins offers a range of independent and unbiased advice in engineering, technical and strategic advisory services to a wide breadth of markets and clients.
Atkins is a member of the Aurora Engineering Partnership which, subject to contract, will support the Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S) transformation strategy as the Engineering Delivery Partner.
We offer ‘through-life’ support to the MoD and equipment manufacturers, and because we don’t manufacture anything ourselves, our clients can rely on us to offer independent and unbiased recommendations. The industry looks to us for advice on the latest issues and, with duty of care always high on the MoD’s agenda, which is driving this increasing demand.
We adopt holistic approach to our work and our people frequently work across different disciplines. When it comes to the environment, we strive to minimise risk, whether that’s from equipment failures, human error or external factors. In terms of supportability, we assess the reliability and sustainability of systems and optimise their support to maintain the capability in the long term.
Whatever your role in our team, you’ll work closely with our clients either in the office or on-site, so your communication skills are just as important as technical expertise. You’ll be primarily engaged in air, sea and land defence projects, but we also work in other areas of Atkins, like Aerospace and Energy. The diversity of work on offer means you’ll face different challenges every day, developing a range of experience and skills alongside our experts.
What you will be doing?
The successful candidates will be required to assess the potential environmental impact of Defence procurement projects and operations, develop environmental arguments for novel and complex systems and develop policy and environmental management systems.
The role is both technically and commercially interesting and challenging, you will have the ability to work independently and interact with customers.
- Developing and driving innovative solutions to customer problems, drawing on your skills and best practice from the many domains.
- Preparing detailed technical reports and presenting the findings of environmental work to both internal and external customers.
- Building sustainable relationships with customers, seeking out future business opportunities and managing these through to new work.
- Contributing to the development of the environmental capability within Atkins Defence business.
- Undertaking internal Project Manager responsibilities for projects - understanding customer requirements, developing technical approaches, planning and management of activities and assurance of the outputs.
What you can bring?
Essential criteria -
- BEng or BSc (Hons) in an Environmental Discipline or equivalent environmental engineering experience.
- Ideally some experience of working within Defence, Aerospace or other relevant sectors.
- Experience of environmental legislation and standards applicable to the defence domain.
- Knowledge and understanding of ISO14001, POEMS, JSP418 and other environmental standards applicable in the Defence industry.
- A proven track record in applying environmental legislation & standards and clearly and concisely explaining the implications to customers’ activities.
- Experience of conducting environmental impact studies / risk assessments and producing all associated reports and documentation.
- Experience of creating and maintaining environmental management systems.
- A proven track record of undertaking business development activities within an environmental consultancy.
- Demonstrable project management skills.
- With excellent written and verbal communication skills, you'll be comfortable presenting to senior customers.
Desirable criteria –
- Chartered status, or working towards.
- Environment related MSc.
- Demonstrable experience of managing environment programmes and implementing environmental management systems.
Why work for Atkins?
People join us because they share a desire to be at the forefront of the ADS&T Business Unit and deliver outstanding projects. We empower our people to be the professional individuals they want to be, working on projects they feel proud of, making a difference to the world they live in and the legacy they leave behind.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.
Meeting your needs:
When you start with us, you'll enjoy "Total Reward", a package that can be tailored to your lifestyle, career and personal needs. From flexible holidays to life assurance, health & wellbeing benefits, and career planning for the senior stage of your career.
Making sure you're supported is important to us. So, if you identify as having a disability, tell us ahead of your interview. And let's talk about any adjustments you might need.
More about us:
Atkins, a member of the SNC-Lavalin Group, is a leading global consultancy with over 80 years of design and engineering expertise. With us, you'll be surrounded by the skills, knowledge and support to help you succeed. Together, we can deliver projects which have a positive, sustainable impact on the world.
Atkins is committed to developing its people both personally and professionally. Our colleagues have the advantage of access to a high ranging training portfolio and development activities designed to help make the best of individual’s abilities and talents. We also actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment.
We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
Diversity & Inclusion:
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
#LI-ADST | #LI-UK | #LI-ATKINS
We are sorry but we currently have no jobs in this area.
Continue browsing to look at our other available opportunities
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs