Environmental Consultant – Site Based P1/P2
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, with over 50,000 employees worldwide. At Atkins, we offer more than just a job. We offer an opportunity to make a difference and shape the world to benefit future generations and the natural environment.
We have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time critical infrastructure projects. The Contaminated Land and Hydrogeology Practice is a well-established, award winning, multi-disciplinary, environmental and engineering practice with an extensive portfolio of regeneration and development projects and a highly skilled team winning numerous industry awards over the years.
The Bristol team also have a range of local and national projects and frameworks working with private clients / developers on the investigation, assessment, remediation and redevelopment of brownfield land as well as servicing internal teams for road, rail and other infrastructure and energy projects. All of which you would be involved in as your career progresses.
We have a great opportunity for a dynamic and motivated Site Engineer to join our Contaminated Land and Hydrogeology team in Bristol. The work involves a full time site role on one of the largest brownfield remediation projects in South Wales.
The vacancy is for someone who:
- Is confident working independently on site supported by an office based team;
- Proven experience of contaminated land site investigations, earthworks and materials tracking/management on site.
- Combines excellent organisational, technical, and communication skills to demonstrate logical thinking and concise reporting;
- Is highly motivated and proactive, with demonstrable energy, drive and enthusiasm; and
- Has an innovative nature with problem-solving skills.
- Materials tracking (monitoring, stockpile management and clean cover import opportunities);
- Phase-specific earthwork performance monitoring;
- Stockpile and windrow sampling for contamination and geotechnical testing;
- Logging of arisings and collection of samples for contamination and geotechnical testing from trial pits completed within future development phases;
- Surface water monitoring and sampling at the established monitoring locations;
- Checking contractor valuations;
- Liaison with stakeholders on day to day issues and queries;
- Obtaining and maintaining a photographic record of site wide activities;
- Site-wide progress reporting, including house construction progress;
- Reclamation works watching brief;
- Plant utilisation monitoring;
- Drainage Monitoring;
- Managing Dust Monitors on site;
- Waterbody and watercourse inspections;
- Liaison with and provision of technical information to the various site and office based teams;
- Engineering support to the client;
- Attendance at meetings,
- Liaison with utility contractors/designers.
- Degree qualified in a relevant engineering or science subject (e.g. geology, geotechnics, hydrogeology, chemistry, environmental science).
- Be actively working toward chartership with a relevant professional body.
- A minimum of 1 years relevant post-graduate experience.
- Experience of supervising intrusive ground investigations using a range of site investigation techniques and earthworks.
- Experience of technical report writing and ability to draft technical reports under guidance to an acceptable technical quality.
- Knowledge and understanding of relevant codes of practice and industry standards and have broad understanding of environmental legislation.
- Ability and willingness to be site based for an initial period of time with the opportunity to progress your career through Atkins and work on different projects after a period of time.
- Full UK driving licence.
What we offer
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to conventional full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements. As part of this commitment, we understand the need for a diverse and flexible workforce, where a work-life balance is important. So, by default Atkins offers flexible working, where there is no fixed 9 ‘till 5, no need for a 5-day week, and no requirement to spend all your working time in the office.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you perform to the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving Chartership via relevant institutions.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package .
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies, with over 50,000 employees worldwide. At Atkins, we offer more than just a
Environment & geoscience
Atkins as part of the SNC-Lavalin’s business is one of the world’s leading Design, Engineering and Project Management Consultancies. We have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs