SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins Business is one of the world’s leading Design, Engineering and Project Management Consultancies. We have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time critical infrastructure projects.
The CL&H Practice is a well-established, award winning, multi-disciplinary environmental and engineering practice with an extensive portfolio of regeneration and development of brownfield sites. We have a highly skilled team providing support to a number of the largest UK-based and international infrastructure projects. In addition, we work on a number of national frameworks with some of the UK’s most knowledgeable clients managing land contamination liabilities on complex and challenging brownfield sites.
As a member of our team you will be involved in range of site and office based projects, working with our experienced staff to deliver excellence to our clients, and will work closely with a wide range of other professionals to deliver holistic solutions to environmental and engineering problems.
We are currently looking to appoint a confident individual to join our growing Contaminated Land and Hydrogeology (CL&H) practice based in our Leeds office. The vacancy is for someone who:
- is confident working in a team and independently;
- proven experience of contaminated land site investigation and qualitative / semi-quantitative risk assessment;
- combines excellent organisational, technical, numerical and communication skills to demonstrate logical thinking and concise reporting;
- is highly motivated and proactive, with demonstrable energy, drive and enthusiasm; and
- has an innovative nature with problem-solving skills.
- Organisation, collation and assessment of desk-based information as part of Phase 1 Desk Studies.
- Data management, development of conceptual site models, and undertaking qualitative and semi-quantitative risk assessments for human health, controlled waters and property receptors. Preparation and delivery of factual and interpretative reporting.
- Assisting in design of Phase 2 site investigations and preparation of commercial offers.
- Organising and supervising environmental / geoenvironmental site investigation and monitoring, including contractor supervision, soil sampling and ground gas/vapour/leachate/groundwater and surface water monitoring/sampling and/or supervising or supporting others in contractor management, liaison and supervision.
- Compliance with Health and Safety Policies and Procedures, including preparation of H&S Plans for site investigation and managing health and safety on site.
- Supervision of contractors on earthworks, remediation, materials management projects, etc.
- Supporting senior management project management to ensure projects are delivered on-time, on budget and to quality and client expectations.
- Developing own competence and maintain CPD necessary to fulfil the responsibilities of the role, with support from the business with training and development needs.
- A minimum of 2 to 3 year’s relevant post-graduate experience (ideally within a consultancy environment), able to demonstrate a good understanding of land contamination/brownfield land issues.
- Experience of supervising intrusive ground investigations using a range of site investigation techniques.
- Ability and willingness to travel.
- Degree qualified in a relevant engineering or science subject (e.g. geology, geotechnics, hydrogeology, chemistry, environmental science).
- Experience of working on former coal gasification / gasworks would be desirable.
- Full UK driving licence and ability to drive for work is essential.
What we offer
Atkins are committed to promoting Equality, Diversity and Inclusion. We have a commitment to identify and recruit from the most diverse talent pool and develop new and improved ways to sponsor talent from underrepresented groups. We have a range of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion network groups encouraging an inclusive workplace where all employees can flourish, including Embrace (supporting minority ethnicities), Enable (supporting visible and invisible disabilities) Equilibrium (for LGBT+ colleagues), Menopause at Work, Neurodiversity (for variations in learning, attention and other mental functions), ParentNet, and Empower (providing professional support by and for women).
Our IT systems support home-working, so where you have parental or carer duties; or you simply need to be elsewhere for a parcel, servicing your car, or waiting in for a tradesperson; Atkins will work for you. Similarly, Atkins’ corporate social responsibility provides the opportunity to give something back to the community, and we run professional networks supporting groups such as local schools, charities, parents, those coming out of the armed-forces and women in engineering.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual development process which is regularly reviewed. You will also be part of our global Technical Networks, which provide a flow of technically orientated information and ideas through the company. Atkins will support you in your professional development, whether with CIEEM, IEMA, CIWEM or others, we support staff in achieving and maintaining membership of relevant institutions, this includes paying your annual membership and providing access to training.
Rewards and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary that is regularly tested against other consultants with a default 25-days leave each year plus bank holidays and options to buy some or sell of that leave.
To support and safeguard your physical and mental wellbeing we provide an employee assistance programme offering advice and support in times of need. Our offices run their own sports and social club providing activities such wine tasting, as surf trips, and a kids’ Christmas party. You will also have access to our Flexible Benefits, where you can opt in to a wide range of benefits to complement your work/life balance: such as medical insurance, gym membership, the cycle-to-work scheme, child care vouchers, charitable giving, additional pension contributions etc.
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package. https://yourrewarduk.snclavalin.com/
“This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements. ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.”
Environment & geoscience
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies with over 50,000 employees worldwide. At Atkins, we offer more than just a j
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs