Environmental Consultant (Nuclear)
Job Title Environmental Consultant (Nuclear)
Do you want to be part of the most interesting projects in the heart of the Nuclear New build industry? Are you a qualified environmental professional with exceptional relationship building skills who would thrive in an exciting global project environment? This could be the ideal opportunity for you to join the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancy.
In the Energy sector, Atkins which is part of the SNC Lavalin Group has an exceptional reputation for delivering innovative and cost-efficient solutions to some of the world's most technically challenging problems.
We support the whole life cycle of the nuclear industry, from building the next generation of nuclear power stations, to keeping the current fleet operational and helping to solve decommissioning challenges.
Across the UK and the globe there are difficult issues to overcome to create a sustainable energy supply and this is a great opportunity to make a positive difference to people's lives and the environment.
Be that difference. Only brilliant minds can solve the world's energy challenges. At Atkins you'll find the best place to apply yours.
About the Team
It is an exciting time at SNC Lavalin with opportunities from concept design of new reactor technology and fusion power, to the licensing and construction of new-build power stations within the UK and overseas; as a result, we are looking for environmental specialists with experience of working in the UK nuclear industry to join our growing Nuclear New Build Environment team based at our office in Aztec West (North Bristol).
What you’ll be doing
You will be working on a variety of technical projects within a team of nuclear environmental specialists and engineers. As part of this, you will have the opportunity to support our UK clients by providing specialist advice and environmental and waste management documentation required under the Nuclear Site Licence and Environmental Permit Conditions. You will also have the opportunity to support UK clients at Generation Stations and Decommissioning sites and have the opportunity to apply your UK industry knowledge to overseas projects and to international clients operating within the industry.
The role will allow you to develop technical and project skills through targeted training, on the job experience, mentoring and continual professional development and you will also be able to develop your management skills by leading other team members within a project based environment.
You’ll need to have
Relevant experience and/or knowledge may include the following:
• A sufficient level of experience working within the nuclear industry or similar industry
• Environmental Permitting
• Environmental assessment studies e.g. BAT and EIA
• Development and implementation of waste management strategies
• Waste characterisation and inventory
• Hazardous waste management (WM3)
• Radiological dose modelling
• Understanding of radioactive discharges/disposals
• Contaminated Land Management
You should also be able to demonstrate the following:
• Degree qualified in environmental science, engineering or other relevant technical discipline;
• Chartered or working towards chartership with a relevant professional body;
• Good communication and presentation skills.
• Experience of liaising directly with stakeholders (including regulators) and clients.
• Ability to communicate effectively with a range of internal / external stakeholders.
• Commercial and project awareness.
• Ability to work alone or as part of a team.
• Ability to travel to other company sites where required.
• Management of staff, client liaison, project management and bid development experience also advantageous.
This is an exciting time for us, we are diversifying our portfolio to become a more global organisation, while also continuing to grow our Energy sector in the UK. There will be opportunities for international travel and applicants with a desire for non-UK based assignments will be welcomed.
Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
We develop individuals through a portfolio of training and development courses designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. We encourage participation in all forms of training and have an active programme of in-house as well as external training for all our staff.
Atkins is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career in engineering, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.