Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins Nuclear is currently seeking an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our team as an Estimator in Ontario, Canada.
- Understand and interpret the need to implement differing estimate methods to support Stage Gate related to project life maturity.
- Ability to use Project Management, Engineering, ECC, Waste Remediation and Trade Discipline Norms
- Apply separate Standards Methods of Measurement related to Building, Civil and Industrial Works.
- Utilize and Apply standard code structures for Portfolio Breakdown Structure (PBS), Organizational Breakdown Structure (OBS), Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) and Cost Breakdown Structure (CBS)
- Work with Planners to identify required cost breakdown for Work Package Summation
- Work with Risk Managers to identify Quantitative and Qualitative risk assessment of cost
- Be knowledgeable of and apply AACE accreditation methods as observed by AACE 17R and 18R to identify required Class of Estimate being prepared
- Have a sound understanding of Stage Gate principles and align to CNL Stage Gate Procedure and Processes
- Identify and quantify cost factors, such as meta data productivities on time, height, weather, project complexity and scale, materials
- Apply CNL current wage and expense policies
- Be prepared to travel to work sites to gather information on the required project scope
- Attend meetings with Project Management staff to create a Project Estimate Plan.
- Read Scope of Work and technical documents in order to prepare estimates
- Collaborate with client and contractors project management and engineers, architects, clients resource staff and contractors in pursuit of creating credible estimates
- Consult with ERM waste remediation experts to discuss estimates and resolve issues
- Use computer software and or Excel to calculate estimates
- Understand and apply best risk management practices
- Have sound knowledge of typical nuclear manufacturing scopes
- Evaluate a project estimate credibility by applying required validation requirements
- Produce a Basis of Estimate for each estimate produced
- Work with ERM Planners to ensure accurate adoption of estimate cost is baseline accurately in P6 (Activities, Tasks, Deliverables, Hours)
- Develop project plans for the duration of the project
ADDITIONAL COMPETENCY SKILLS
- Analytical skills. Accurately evaluating detailed phased resourcing to establish a credible cost for each stage of the project life. For example, an estimator must determine how to minimize costs without sacrificing quality.
- Detail oriented. Must pay attention to small details because such details may have a large impact on a product’s overall cost.
- Technical skills. Detailed knowledge of industry processes, materials, and cost are vital. They must be able to use Estimate Database to handle large sources of quantifiable data.
- Time-management skills. Because estimators often work on fixed deadlines, they must plan their work in advance and work efficiently and accurately.
- Writing skills. Estimators must be able to write credible Project Estimate Plans and Basis of Estimate.
EDUCATION & CERTIFICATIONS
- Possess formal estimating training from a university or college recognized as supporting Canadian Institute of Quantity Surveyors (CIQS) courses supporting Construction Estimator Certification (CEC) and or Professional Quantity Surveyor (PQS) Designation and or Member of Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (MRICS) certification and a bachelor’s degree from a recognized course supporting cost estimating. However, a few highly experienced personal may qualify without a bachelor’s degree.
- Voluntary certification can show competence and experience in the field. The American Society of Professional Estimators, the Association for the Advancement of Cost Estimating International (also known as AACE International), and the International Cost Estimating and Analysis Association each offer a variety of certifications.
- Voluntary certification requires estimators to have at least 10 years of continuous estimating experience and must have passed a written exam.
- A bachelor’s degree. A strong background in mathematics is essential. An industry-related field, such as construction management, building science, engineering or statistics is acceptable. Aspects related to in business-related disciplines, such as accounting, finance and business are considered valuable.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.