FEMA/Water Resources Engineer (EIT)
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Calverton, Maryland office as a FEMA/Water Resources Engineer (EIT).
Under supervision, performs routine engineering work while developing professional proficiency. On design assignments, works to learn how to clearly convey the design intent through engineering drawings and specifications. On assignments involving investigations and planning, works to learn the fundamentals of engineering processes and to apply them successfully to operating systems. On assignments involving construction activities, works to develop an understanding of construction methods and the translation of engineering drawings and specifications into the constructed product. Upholds engineering ethics and standards of conduct.
- As a Water Resources Engineer, the applicant will review submitted flood insurance revisions and evaluate submitted engineering hydrologic and hydraulic (H&H) analyses to ensure that the analyses are technically accurate and that the revisions comply with FEMA National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) regulations. The applicant will act as a technical liaison to FEMA, state and local governments, and to other engineers and/or property owners who submitted the engineering H&H analyses.
- In addition, will develop and complete new H&H analyses. The H&H analyses will be completed to conform to FEMA NFIP guidelines and specifications. Floodplain mapping will be completed using the results from the hydraulic analyses along with digital terrain data. These tasks will involve the use of various H&H engineering software as well as Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software. Engineering databases, reports, and work maps will be developed and completed by the applicant, under the supervision and direction of a registered professional engineer.
- In addition to the tasks listed above, the applicant will also complete and/or assist senior engineers with other various engineering projects related to water resources and civil engineering. These projects may include, but are not limited to, storm water planning and design, watershed master plans, and transportation drainage plans.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. or M.S. in Civil Engineering (preferably with a specialization in Water Resources). This level my be achieved by Engineers with 2 years' experience since B.S. or 1 year since M.S. The typical incumbent has 3 to 5 years' experience since Bachelor's degree.
- Technical writing, computer and communications skills required. CAD skills preferred.
- E.I. or EIT is usually required.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here: http://careers.atkinsglobal.com/File.ashx?path=Root/Documents/north-america-welcome-new-employee/Equal_Opp_Stmt.pdf
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.