FEMA/Water Resources Engineer
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Dallas, Texas office as a FEMA/Water Resources Engineer.
Under supervision, applies technical professional proficiency to the investigation of engineering problems, the coordination of project activities, and the preparation of preliminary plans and documents. On design assignments, progresses toward learning how to clearly convey the design intent through engineering drawings and specifications. On engineering and planning assignments, continues to develop a knowledge of the fundamentals of engineering processes and to apply them successfully to operating systems. On construction assignments, continues to develop an understanding of construction methods and the translation of engineering plans and specifications into constructed product. Upholds engineering ethics and standards of conduct.
- As a Water Resources Engineer I, the applicant will develop and complete new hydrologic and hydraulic (H&H) analyses. The H&H analyses will be completed to conform to FEMA National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) guidelines and specifications. Floodplain mapping will be completed using the results from the hydraulic analyses along with digital terrain data. These tasks will involve the use of various H&H engineering software as well as Geographic Information Systems (GIS) software. Engineering databases, reports, and work maps will be developed and completed by the applicant, under the supervision and direction of a registered professional engineer.
- In addition, the applicant will review submitted flood insurance revisions and evaluate submitted engineering H&H analyses to ensure that the analyses are technically accurate and that the revisions comply with FEMA NFIP regulations. The applicant will act as a technical liaison to FEMA, state and local governments, and to other engineers and/or property owners who submitted the engineering H&H analyses.
- In addition to the tasks listed above, the applicant will also complete and/or assist senior engineers with other various engineering projects related to water resources and civil engineering. These projects may include, but are not limited to, storm water planning and design, watershed master plans, and transportation drainage plans.
- Applies standard engineering practices and techniques in specific situations which may include the following:
- Assists in the planning, design, and production of engineering drawings. May supervise the production of these drawings. Carries out specific assignments in preparing and assembling specifications.
- Participates in conducting engineering investigations and planning work by completing well-defined tasks. These tasks may include collection and analysis of data using established procedures, performance of routine calculations, and participation in evaluating the feasibility of alternate solutions.
- Prepares assigned sections of reports working under the close review of a more experienced professional.
- Participates on projects involving construction activities by reviewing shop drawings for conformance with easily interpreted specifications; assists in recordkeeping and in generating progress reports; observes relatively simple construction procedures, and collects samples for quality control testing.
- Performs data acquisition and analysis, researching the feasibility of alternative design approaches, site conditions, and/or regulatory agency specifications or regulations.
- Prepares material for reports and permit applications, gathering information, writing rough outline, and/or preparing work progression documents and graphic presentations.
- Performs engineering calculations.
- Performs field observations of construction where appropriate.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. or M.S. in Engineering. This level my be achieved by Engineers with 2 years' experience since B.S. or 1 year since M.S. The typical incumbent has 3 to 5 years' experience since Bachelor's degree.
- Technical writing, computer and communications skills required. CAD skills preferred. Experience with HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, ArcGIS, SWMM, and AutoCAD, is preferred.
- E.I. or EIT is usually required.
General Competencies expected of all Professionals and Managers are as follows: Client Service, Commitment, Communication, Innovation & Continuous Improvement, Professionalism, Quality, and Teamwork.
Ability to process paper/electronic documents and utilize computer equipment; ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing; ability to visit project sites if necessary. Job also requires ability to assemble and analyze data.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Our Latest Articles