Fluid Mechanics / CFD Engineer
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
The Fluid Mechanics team is looking for talented mechanical or chemical engineers with a strong background in fluid mechanics and experience in a consultancy environment.
Are you looking for a career in Fluid Mechanics? This could be the role for you!
The Fluid Mechanics team provides engineering analysis related to fluid flows and heat transfer for a wide range of industries and applications, each with different technical challenges. These include projects in: oil and gas and nuclear safety (gas dispersion, fire modelling, explosion analysis, fire and gas detection), hydrodynamics and floating structures, heat transfer, hydraulics and open channel flows, wind loading and wind in the built environment, and many others. Our engineers help clients define the problem, identify an appropriate analysis methodology and justify that the solution(s) are physically accurate and robust. Team members require a mechanical engineering background with exposure to fluid mechanics and heat transfer, as well as an aptitude to develop into new technical areas quickly.
Our reputation is centered on delivering the right engineering solutions to our clients’ problems. We value the relationships we have with our clients: you will help to improve the engineering service we provide, and to build close relationships with the client, founded on trust and delivery.
The role is for a Mechanical Engineer, within the Epsom based Fluid Mechanics team. Typical activities would initially include:
- Working in an engineering role on a range of projects, to obtain a working knowledge of the team’s methods, tools, and markets. This will include having an active input on the problem definition and solution methodology, model preparation and execution, analysis of the result to determine an engineering outcome, and delivery of this outcome to the client.
- Developing simulation analysis experience using general purpose computational fluid dynamics (CFD) software and CFD blast software.
We are looking for people who relish technically challenging engineering projects. You enjoy the challenge of understanding complex problems and breaking these down into manageable parts. You are able to clearly communicate the workflow and eventual solution to colleagues and clients.
You are proactive and have excellent communication and presentation skills, and can interact with the team effectively.
You will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Honours Degree (or equivalent) in mechanical engineering or related discipline (2:1 minimum), with a solid grounding in fluid mechanics and heat transfer.
- Working towards chartership with the IMechE (or another engineering profession).
- Technical practitioner with sound engineering judgement and experience in using fundamental engineering skills.
- Able to produce high quality technical reports.
- Motivated and driven to meet delivery/cost targets without compromising quality.
- Awareness of own technical limitations and using the help and support of others to deliver technical work.
- Awareness of the commercial aspects of consultancy is desirable.
- Experience with simulation engineering is desirable.
- Some on-site or hands-on plant experience is desirable but not essential.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.