Front End Developer
Front End Developer
Front End Developer
We are looking to recruit a proactive and inspirational Front End Developer to join our dynamic team in either Bristol or Birmingham.
Our development team is continuously evolving. You’ll be joining at an exciting time and have the opportunity to shape our future. You must be comfortable with dynamic and fluid ways of working, responsive to change and have an eye for spotting opportunities to:
- Implement new and emerging technologies to develop our offering of digital products and services;
- Collaborate with the wider creative team to push technical excellence through design-led development;
- Utilise existing products, services and boilerplate code where appropriate to increase the efficiency of delivery;
- Pair with developers and product managers to ensure a sound and efficient approach to development;
- Actively seek and suggest better ways of working and improvements to our existing coding practices
You will be responsible for building high quality front-end features for all our web applications, including some collaborative customer design. You’ll develop and maintain our global styles, plus web and accessibility standards across numerous product sites. You will use the latest technologies to build web applications that will work effectively on a variety of platforms and devices by:
- Delivering high quality UI’s from concept to realisation;
- Creating, maintaining and modernising website assets, styles and application UI’s;
- Driving innovation in UI and modern application architecture;
- Contributing to a collaborative working environment;
- Promoting excellence in UI delivery;
- Ensuring UI Standards are complied with where agreed application specification includes required standards;
- Using local builds and continuous integration systems to deliver changes for testing.
We are looking for a hands-on developer with a strong knowledge of modern front-end web technologies and the following skills:
- Strong HTML5 - including semantic mark-up, validation and accessibility;
- CSS3, ideally using preprocessors such as LESS and SASS;
- Experience with Bootstrap or other cross browser and device UI frameworks;
- Experience of building responsive layouts;
- Understanding of modern design languages such as Material Design;
- Good understanding of cross browser compatibility and limitations, including IE8+, Chrome, Firefox and Safari;
- Working knowledge of Photoshop and Illustrator to produce high quality mock-ups and assets;
- Experience with animation/interactive graphics frameworks like Greensock and d3.
- Desirable skills and experience – SCRUM, mobile applications, automation with NPM, Grunt or Gulp, agency experience and any retail or consumer goods industry exposure.
- When applying, please upload a CV and portfolio or details of URLs to support your application. This is an opportunity to showcase your creativity.
About Creative Design
‘Creative Design’ is not your typical in-house team. We are a proactive and creative team of over 50 designers, developers, visualisers, filmmakers and immersive media specialists based across 8 offices, 7 in the UK and one in India. We deliver world class solutions to a wide range of Atkins clients including MoD, EDF, Highways England, Transport for London, HS2 and the Environment Agency. We work collaboratively with Atkins’ teams and external clients, getting to the heart of problems and adding value and innovation to every project.
Our design principles underpin everything we do. We’re problem solvers who are excited by working together to find a solution. We create bespoke communications which focus on bringing meaning to content, make information more accessible and add value to projects. We create and implement viable concepts that utilise technology in a way that enhances outcomes and creates efficiencies. We invest in innovation and focus on upcoming technologies.
Some of our previous films and animations can be found here:
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs