Geospatial (GIS) Team Leader - Birmingham
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Do you have the next big idea in GIS? Join our geospatial team to put your ideas into practice on some of the world’s most complex projects, from road and rail to renewables and nuclear energy. Our team thrives on innovation and taking data to the next level – and we have the awards to prove it. We’re looking for people who combine technical excellence with forward thinking and client focus, and can thrive in a consultancy environment. If you’re passionate about how geospatial solutions can solve real world problems, this is the team for you.
The Atkins Geospatial team are growing fast and looking for a number of staff across all levels of seniority. This role is for four Geospatial Line Managers who will each manage 5 staff. It is the perfect role for an existing team leader looking to move into one of the leading geospatial solution providers, or for someone who wants to move into line management for the first time. It will be challenging: requiring the day-to-day management of your team who will be based in offices around the UK and India, ensuring staff hit individual and team productivity targets and balancing small-medium projects with business development, but also immensely rewarding: working on some of the largest infrastructure projects in the UK and growing your skills and experience in providing leading edge Geospatial solutions. You will be encouraged to grow whilst in this role both through regular training and by the business supporting chartership applications in a relevant industry body. These roles will report into a Geospatial Senior Team Leader.
Manage the day to day operation of your team which includes:
• Accountable for your team’s productivity, holding weekly team meetings to assess current and future workload and notifying the wider team when people become available.
• Provide an accurate weekly productivity forecast to your Senior Team Leader
• Manage the morale of your team
• Carry out your team’s half yearly appraisals and set the learning and development targets to ensure the growth of individual team members
• Proactively seek support of your senior team leader when required
• Represent the Geospatial team at internal meetings
• Lead on internal opportunities up to £100k. You will be expected to ensure a pipeline of work for yourself and your team.
• Lead on internal projects up to a value of £100k.
• Represent your team at the monthly Geospatial Extended Leadership Meetings.
• Input and deliver on the aims of the Geospatial Business Strategy and ensure your team is aligned with this strategy
• Maintain team communication to enable two-way feedback on any issues.
• Whilst the majority of this role will be task and project management focused, the successful candidate will need to perform day to day GIS tasks of any level (spatial analysis, data management, digitisation, map creation, etc) for any client of the Geospatial team
• Ensure that all timesheets are submitted by the weekly deadline.
• Proactive and positive person who will follow up all leads and opportunities
• Strong interpersonal skills to maintain a team culture of collaboration.
• Excellent organisational skills
• Demonstrable leadership experience
• A track record of hitting individual and team productivity targets
• Have appreciation of the issues of, and solutions to, managing remote teams as your team will be spread throughout the UK and potentially in India.
• Proven track record of successful project management in pressurised environments of projects under £100k
• Experience of providing information management advice and GIS solutions to multi-disciplinary projects
• Ability to represent the Geospatial team by effectively selling the benefits of GIS to potential clients and generate new internal business leads
• Experience of providing GIS text to formal external bids and writing internal proposals
• Able to work on your own and with the wider GIS team based in multiple locations around the UK.
• Thorough experience of using ESRI’s ArcGIS 10x (and its extensions) and ArcOnline
• Experience of leading a Geospatial team
• Management of staff based in India
• Hands on experience of applying geospatial solutions in a BIM environment
• Good knowledge of FME
• Good knowledge of PostGIS
Why work for Atkins?
Today we’re a core part of SNC-Lavalin, and we’re offering employees all the benefits you’d expect from a strong global company with enhanced scale, capabilities expertise and more. You will be in a trusted, supported position, where you are able to apply both existing skills and develop new skills in complex and challenging situations. You will be able to share your knowledge and experience and learn from others within the team. This role will give you the opportunities to become a mature, established and multi-skilled consultant.
Rewards and benefits
Atkins recognises the importance of helping its employees manage their work and home life by offering flexible working arrangements that enable them to balance their working life with parental and other caring responsibilities. For full details of our flexible working scheme and benefits package, please refer to our website.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.