Geospatial Industrial Year Placement Scheme (2020)
As a Geospatial placement student, you’ll be working across mission critical industries, to contribute to the security and resilience of the nation, or to exploit advanced technology to help clients to not only meet but embrace these exciting times. Working with leading names to transform the future of aerospace engineering and create lighter, quieter and more fuel-efficient aircraft. The security team is trusted by organisations to help them understand the threats they are facing and develop the strategies to counter them.
At Atkins we offer a world of opportunities from the projects you’ll work on to the directions you can take your career. You’ll benefit from on the job learning and training whilst you’re developing highly sought-after industry skills.
Brilliant minds. World-changing ideas. We’re one of the world’s most prestigious consultancies. With the Atkins placement scheme, you’re in great company.
Where could I work?
As a placement student within Aerospace, Defence, Security & Technology (ADS&T) you could find yourself in one of the following locations:
Industrial year locations: Bristol or London
Degree requirements: On track to achieve a 2:1 or above Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Geospatial, GIS, Geography, or Earth Sciences
The Atkins Geospatial team provide a range of services covering the full lifecycle of location-based information from data acquisition, processing and spatial analysis to information and data management. Our drive is to deliver innovative, quality solutions to our clients enabling them to use data to make well informed decisions in a user friendly and intuitive environment. Our success lies in our integration across the Atkins businesses, and our hunger to push geospatial solutions ever forward.
The team are passionate about the application of geospatial technology to real world problems, applying GIS across a broad range of disciplines from large, nationally important road/rail to renewables/nuclear energy projects, and delivering projects based in the UK to those in the developing world. You could see yourself working on anything from; High Speed Two, researching opensource technology and its ability to deliver highly detailed 3D web mapping, travelling to countries such as Kenya, Malawi and Dubai, and cost saving for clients to even spending a year on secondment with a client.
We believe in getting students working on projects from the moment they join (after attending relevant training), so expect to be busy. The role of a GIS placement student is an exciting and rewarding opportunity to gain experience in implementing GI solutions across multiple disciplines and throughout all parts of a project’s life cycle. You could be involved in:
• Projects where we are advising and guiding internal and external clients on the best approach to take for a wide range of GI aspects from basic constraints mapping for our environment team
• 3D visualisation of a new pipeline route and creating viewshed maps for planning applications on small projects to large infrastructure projects
• Supporting other Atkins work on large multi-disciplinary projects
What are we looking for?
• Passion and understanding for working in a consultancy environment, with the ability to work with clients and internal stakeholders
• Drive and determination
• Excellent communication and relationship building skills, with the confidence to work on your own initiative or as part of a multidisciplinary team
• Ability to apply your technical knowledge to analyse problems and create innovative solutions
• An interest in developing digital and technology-based solutions
What are the benefits and rewards?
When you join us, you’ll be empowered to be the professional you want to be, working on projects you can feel proud of.
Our benefits, to name a few, include:
• dedicated support from your line manager who will create personalized objectives with you, so you can get the most out of your time with us to support you with your studies and beyond
• our top performing placement students have the opportunity to be nominated straight onto our Graduate Development Programme
• a competitive salary
How do I apply?
Please click the apply button now to start your application journey! As an equal opportunities employer we value applications from candidates of all backgrounds, cultures and abilities. For further details on our recruitment process, please refer to our website.
We want you to perform at your best at each stage of our recruitment process and can make adjustments to ensure this. So, whether you consider yourself to have a disability or not, or would simply like to know how we can support you better, please contact us confidentially on email@example.com.
Our deadline for applications is Monday 6th January 2020. Some of our opportunities are incredibly popular, so to avoid disappointment (where some roles may close earlier) we recommend you apply as soon as possible.
NB: This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.