Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Austin, TX team as a Graphic Designer supporting the Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority (CTRMA) General Engineering Consultant (GEC) Program, working as an “extension of staff” in the client’s offices in downtown Austin.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 3 years of experience and working knowledge of all the following applications: Illustrator, Photo-Shop, InDesign, Acrobat Professional, PowerPoint, and Keynote; and a working knowledge and experience using the MS Office Suite of programs. At this level artistic ability, conceptual design and layout skills, proficient proofreading skills and communication skills, both written and verbal, are necessary, as well as the willingness to be a team player.
MAJOR FUNCTION / ROLE
Under the supervision of the Public Involvement Manager, the Graphic Designer II is responsible for design and production of graphic artwork and copy layout. Reports to supervisor daily on project progress and any problem areas.
At this level, the Graphic Designer is assigned a task, given art direction and must produce within acceptable schedule requirements and budget limitations, following supervisor's direction and client's specifications.
Job consists of simple to moderately complex design and layout work requiring attention to detail and aesthetic value. Supports regional office clients, providing project production and graphics design in accordance with client specifications and within acceptable schedule requirements and budget limitations.
Incumbent must coordinate with co-workers assigned to the same project to ensure consistency in format and quality.
Works with Media Group personnel, marketing staff, engineers, planners and other technical staff outside clients and vendors.
- Provides design, layout and pre-press for marketing and collateral material.
- Develops layout utilizing electronic design, illustration and photo software.
- Selects appropriate software for assigned project and has working knowledge of keyboard commands to open electronic files containing photographs and illustrations.
- Establishes appropriate type styles, size and spacing, color and composition.
- Types, edits or re-formats written materials. Proofreads and correct errors.
- Prepares jobs for output or pre-press to achieve desired results.
- Verifies and coordinates with co-workers assigned to the same project, to ensure consistency in format and quality.
- Discusses project at the beginning and at various stages of completion and presents sample of proposed layout to supervisor for review or approval.
- Operates hardware output devices and peripherals equipment, I.e., computers (PC and Mac), scanners, printers, copiers, plotter and presentation and bindery equipment.
- Organizes and maintains graphic request folders, labor sheets and time sheets.
- Order supplies, files and collates materials for proposals and presentations.
- Coordinates print jobs with in-house printer and other print vendors as needed.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A.A. or B.A. degree in Graphic Design or related degree, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- For the Graphic Designer II, a minimum of 5 years with A.A.; 3 years with B.A.
- Must demonstrate good page layout, typography, use of color, photo composing and manipulation, and general file management ability.
- Job requires artistic ability, conceptual skills and working knowledge of the current electronic design, illustration and photo software and hardware output devices.
- This level requires working knowledge of all the following applications: Illustrator, Photo-Shop, InDesign, Acrobat Professional, PowerPoint, and Keynote. Service-based Graphic Designers may also make use of technical applications such as ArcView, AutoCAD, and/or Earth-Pro.
- Proofreading and communication skills also required.
- Knowledge of production support systems and personal computer proficiency.
- None Required.
- Ability to multitask projects under the high pressure of frequent and multiple deadlines and deal with interruptions in current work in progress to handle higher priority jobs.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.