HCC Framework Technical Manager
Job Location: Three Minsters House, Winchester
Atkins is the lead organisation who provide highway engineering, technical and management services to Hampshire County Council (HCC) to support a wide range of transport schemes.
This is an exciting time, with significant current and planned investment in infrastructure and transport links across Hampshire to improve connectivity and facilitate further economic growth across the region.
Our current strategic partnering contract covers a wide range of services and brings together colleagues from across the Atkins organisation, both in the UK and from our Global Design Centres (GDC) in India. Our expertise in transport planning, highways design and management including scientific and technical services are in high demand and we typically have over 50 people working on this diverse and growing programme at any one time.
We are seeking an experienced Engineer to take a hands-on approach in assuring the technical quality and delivery of projects to our client, based in Winchester.
The role will involve engagement with our Workstream Leads and Project Managers and our client stakeholders to ensure we develop and deliver from concept to implementation, across a wide range of small, medium and large projects to meet client expectations.
With your knowledge and experience, you will provide pragmatic guidance to our teams, helping them to develop solutions, assess and manage risks and to give confidence to the client through direct dialogue and support e.g. task development and project progress reviews.
The successful candidate will be responsible for engaging with clients in both the delivery of projects and the development of future work, as well as the mentoring and personal development of team members.
The role will be full time, based in Winchester. To support delivery, it will also require flexibility to travel to other Atkins’ offices where teams are assisting in project delivery.
- Providing technical advice and support to a wide range of highways and transport projects, requiring multi-disciplinary skills
- Using your engineering skills to derive potential solutions and engineering judgement to appraise and recommend options.
- Acting as Technical Lead or Technical Reviewer on projects
- Ensuring all work we produce is of a consistently high technical standard and delivered in accordance with the appropriate standards.
- Taking a risk -based approach to reviewing project performance on a regular basis to assure delivery quality
- Working with the client to advise on technical challenges and innovations.
- Staying abreast of industry developments and changes in standards
• Developing less experienced staff via on the job technical training and mentoring
• Working with and supporting multi-disciplinary global teams
• Maintaining and developing excellent professional relationships with the client
• Presenting, discussing and chairing reviews with clients and key stakeholders in a professional, confident manner
• Reviewing both technical and commercial offers for agreement with the client
• Supporting monthly Project Performance reviews, with a focus on project technical risk management
• Assisting the Framework Manager and PMs to plan delivery and advising on capability development requirements
• Working collaboratively across the Atkins Group to build technical interest and best practice for the client’s programme
• Degree qualified in civil engineering or equivalent
• Professionally qualified and registered with ICE, CIHT or IStructE
• Experience of working with local authorities as consultant or client
• In- depth knowledge and experience of delivering design solutions in the transportation sector
• Practiced in supporting the preparation of project briefs, project plans and fee estimates
• Proven ability to keep control in pressured situations, deliver work within set timeframes and contribute to a well-motivated team
• Ability to balance pragmatic delivery with innovation to clients
• Willingness to work flexibly between Atkins and client offices
• Collaborative approach
• Experience of client engagement and business development
• Positive and practical experience of managing resources, mentoring engineers and inspiring multidisciplinary teams.
• Experience of supervising highway works contracts
We are seeking someone with the following attributes:
• Excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills both verbally and in writing
• A hard working, self- motivated and flexible individual, who is a team player, reliable, proactive and shows initiative whilst able to keep cool under pressure and when working to challenging timescales
• Ability to build and motivate a team and demonstrate leadership
• Sets high standards of performance for themselves and other members of the team
• Customer focused with excellent relationship management skills
• A supportive approach to mentoring less experienced members of the team.
• Ability to adapt to different cultures and working environments to build rapport with both internal and external clients
• Commercial acumen
• Holds a valid UK driving licence
Connecting countries, cities and communities, our Transportation team works on some of the most challenging projects of our time. Helping people to travel reliably and more efficiently, we transform rail and highway infrastructure. So, get on board and play a big part in our success.
We’ll value you for going that extra mile to exceed expectations and deliver innovative solutions nobody else can. After all, we can’t achieve great things without you. So, you can look forward to fantastic rewards and development opportunities.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and abilities.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.