Head of Bid and Assurance
Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planners and consultants. The unique breadth of services in Transportation, combined with our scale, makes Atkins the leading UK transportation infrastructure consultancy. We create a culture and environment to inspire our people, ensure collaboration with our clients and continue to shape the future of mobility.
Purpose of Role
What: Working within the Atkins Transportation Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) team, developing and leading on the delivery of an assurance strategy that supports both compliance and continuous improvement across all Transportation Markets.
To support the delivery of robust HSE bid solutions, ensuring that exemplar submissions are developed to support an Atkins ‘best in class approach’.
Why: To develop an assurance strategy, that ensures regulatory and HSE legislative compliance, whilst identifying internal and external best practice, that promotes a culture of continuous improvement.
As the Head of Bid of Assurance, the post will lead on all HSE bid opportunities, with the aim of enhancing Atkins Transportation reputation with key clients, demonstrating innovation and best practice through consistent, high scoring bid solutions.
How: By supporting the HSE, Signalling Strategic Rail, Highways and Local Transport Teams in the delivery of a robust assurance strategy and clear comprehensive management of HSE bid solutions, projects and programmes to continually improve HSE in Atkins Transportation.
- Develop and deliver the HSE Assurance Strategy for Transportation, engaging with key stakeholders.
- Lead and support an HSE Bid and Assurance Team to support all bid and compliance activities.
- Supporting the HSE Director and Market Directors for Signalling, Strategic Rail, Highways and Local Transport and their management and frontline teams with the monitoring and close out of actions of Atkins Transportation Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) Strategy.
- Accountable for HSE Performance Data and delivery of KPI reports within Transportation
- Be the single point of contact for Service Now and identify opportunities for improvement to drive improved reporting performance throughout Transportation
- Provide legal and regulatory compliance reports for the HSE Director on a quarterly basis
- Develop an Assurance Programme across the whole of Transportation and collate the outputs from these activities – Examples of activities will include – HSE PGI’s; Safety Conversations, BIP’s; Visible Safety Leadership interventions; etc.
- Co-ordinate Standard reviews from Network Rail, Highways England and ensure compliance.
- Be the single point of contact for all external assurance activity and manage the audit requirements associated with these interventions – Examples include – RSIQS / PC Licence / IRSE and ISO Accreditations.
- Develop an audit programme, focused on the Transportation Risk Profile and ensure completion of audits and subsequent actions.
- Manage the incident investigation process and ensure robust investigations are completed, with appropriate actions.
- Maintain a database of all bids that require HSE input as part of win work requirements and determine priority of bids in terms of importance to business
- Identify resource requirements to enable the business to respond appropriately to requests for HSE input for PQQ’s/ITT’s/Tender submissions.
- Lead and develop HSE responses for PQQ’s/ITTs/Tenders where appropriate
- Be the Technical Expert during the development of HSE bids within the Strategic Rail, Highways and Local Transport markets, ensuring high quality HSE submissions are provided on time, being a differentiator to competitors
- Collaborate with the Win Work Team to develop model answers, for future bids, as part of their best practice database
- Undertake Incident investigations as an independent resource, for high potential events within Transportation.
- Become an expert on the Atkins Transportation Safety Management System, providing clear guidance on proportionate application.
- Lead and support the development and embedment of the Transportation business plan and people plan across the division.
- Lead by example and be a role model for the behaviours.
- Work collaboratively across Transportation and the wider divisions for the best interests of the team, project and business.
Qualifications and Experience
- Must possess an expert knowledge of HSE regulatory requirements that can be applied to all three markets.
- Must have experience of developing and supporting assurance strategies and programmes.
- Must have a recognised safety qualification (e.g. CMIOSH) and be maintaining CPD.
- Must have demonstrable audit experience, lead auditor status desirable
- Experience of leading and supporting incident investigations is essential
- Experience of working in a rail and construction environment is desirable,
- People Management – ability to partner with a wide variety of stakeholders, both internal and external becoming a motivational force for all to appreciate the importance of working safely
- Innovation – be able to suggest, champion and implement innovative solutions for safety both internally within Atkins and externally to key stakeholders.
- Communication – Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to partner with a wide variety of stakeholders both internally and externally.
- Must be a high-level user of Microsoft Office applications, particularly Word and Excel.
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Our Latest Articles