Head of Safety - Strategic Rail, Highways and Local Transport
Atkins’ UK Transportation business brings together the capabilities of our Rail, Highway and Local Transport teams, into a single business of 3,000 talented engineering professionals transport planners and consultants. The unique breadth of services in Transportation, combined with our scale, makes Atkins the leading UK transportation infrastructure consultancy. We create a culture and environment to inspire our people, ensure collaboration with our clients and continue to shape the future of mobility.
Purpose of Role:
What: Working within the Atkins Transportation Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) team supporting the Strategic Rail, Highways and Local Transport markets to ensure an integrated safety function that supports the three key markets from both a strategic and tactical perspective.
Why: To develop the Strategic Rail, Highways and Local Transport, HSE approach, ensuring clear demonstration of continuous improvement and consistent and efficient use of resource. To support the safe delivery of all projects, working closely with key clients such as Network Rail, HS2, Highways England and local authorities and industry bodies including the Industry Safety Liaison Group (ISLG) and Highways England Safety Hub.
How: By supporting the Strategic Rail, Highways and Local Transport Teams in the delivery of a portfolio of HSE Management bids, projects, programmes and work assignments to continually improve HSE in Atkins Transportation.
- Supporting the HSE Director and Market Directors for Strategic Rail, Highways and Local Transport and their management and frontline teams with the implementation of Atkins Transportation Health, Safety and Environment (HSE) Strategy.
- Support the development of the Strategic Rail, Highways and Local Transport HSE Tactical Plans ensuring key objectives are developed and delivered
- Be the Technical Expert during the development of HSE bids within the Strategic Rail, Highways and Local Transport markets, ensuring high quality HSE submissions are provided on time, being a differentiator to competitors
- Become an expert on the Atkins Transportation Safety Management System, providing clear guidance on proportionate application.
- Provide support in the provision of HSE metrics and trends to ensure clarity on HSE Performance and identify current and emerging trends/risks to develop credible recommendations and proposals to promote continuous improvement.
- Support the Market Directors for Strategic Rail, Highways and Local Transport and their management team in enhancing the safety culture within strategic rail through the development and delivery of safety culture improvement plans.
- Undertake audits and other assurance activities, ensuring regulatory compliance as a minimum liaising with the HSE assurance function.
- Engage with Strategic Rail, Highway and Local Transport clients, including but not limited to Network Rail, High Speed 2, East West Rail Alliance, Highways England, Transport for London, Transport for the North to build strong and professional relationships, demonstrating Atkins commitment to HSE.
- Develop strong relationships with the HSE, ORR, RAIB and RSSB to ensure Atkins remains at the forefront of best practice in industry
- Increase awareness and understanding of HSE responsibilities within the Strategic Rail, Highways and Local Transport functions, through effective engagement and monitoring, leading to visible ownership and delivery of day to day HSE management requirements.
- Instigate, support and lead, where required, investigations for incidents within Strategic Rail, Highways and Local Transport supporting timely close out of recommendations and resultant actions.
- Benchmark against comparable organisations to ensure that best practice is identified, adapted and adopted within Atkins Transportation.
- Lead and support the development and embedment of the Transportation business plan and people plan across the division.
- Lead by example and be a role model for the behaviours.
- Work collaboratively across Transportation and the wider divisions for the best interests of the team, project and business.
Qualifications and Experience
- Must possess an expert knowledge of HSE regulatory requirements that can be applied to all three markets.
- Must possess a good knowledge of railway operations and control principles and the ability to understand both Atkins and Network Rail Safety Management Systems
- Must have a recognised safety qualification (e.g. CMIOSH) and be maintaining CPD.
- Must possess a good knowledge of CDM, specifically on the role of the Principal Designer
- Must be able to undertake Incident Investigations identifying immediate and underlying causes
- People Management – ability to partner with a wide variety of stakeholders, both internal and external becoming a motivational force for all to appreciate the importance of working safely
- Innovation – be able to suggest, champion and implement innovative solutions for safety both internally within Atkins and externally to key stakeholders.
- Communication – Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to partner with a wide variety of stakeholders both internally and externally.
- Must be a high-level user of Microsoft Office applications, particularly Word and Excel
We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.