Health & Safety Manager
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. Atkins has been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins Nuclear is currently seeking an Health & Safety Manager to join the nuclear team in Richland, WA.
- Implements organization/facility health and safety policies, programs and training. Monitors and evaluates the workplace to ensure compliance with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and related regulations. Evaluates field implementation of site/company programs and procedures. Manages the overall effectiveness of health and safety programs and develops corrective actions accordingly. Ensures achievement of corporate and industry metrics and standards of safety including experience modification rates (EMRs).
- Provides oversight, direction and training to Health and Safety organization staff to ensure all health and safety activities related to a site, program, project, function and/or facility process(es) are conducted in compliance with established rules, regulations, policies and procedures and to ensure high quality products and services for EnergySolutions customers.
- Helps leadership establish Health and Safety organization goals.
- Assists corporate staff with the revision of corporate Health and Safety policies and procedures.
- Assists line managers with implementing effective Health and Safety programs to maintain a safe and healthy workplace.
- Leads project safety initiatives including the Behavior-Based Safety Program and other programs as developed internally and by the corporate office.
- Participates in safety meetings including monthly, weekly and plan of the day meetings as required.
- Prepares, reviews and approves Health and Safety documentation (e.g., project Safety and Health procedures, job and activity hazard analyses and site-specific Health and Safety plans).
- Conducts OSHA field inspections, assessments (e.g., exposure), job hazard analyses, pre-job briefings, toolbox safety meetings and training as required by the site-specific Health and Safety Plan.
- Serves as the interface for internal and external Health and Safety audits.
- Performs evaluations of industrial health and safety program elements and personnel monitoring (e.g., noise monitoring, confined space air monitoring and heat stress monitoring).
- Performs safety assessments of projects/processes.
- Leads investigations on incidents and accidents.
- Maintains records pertaining to corporate and OSHA-related incidences and illnesses and prepares appropriate reports.
- Manages staff selection, development and retention. Establishes and monitors work goals and objectives. Evaluates employees through performance reviews, ongoing coaching and feedback methods.
- Prepares and administers project-specific health and safety budgets as required and monitors and explains budget variances.
- Follows organizational policies and procedures and ensures staff is in compliance.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree required in industrial hygiene, occupational safety, engineering, chemistry, physics, biology or related biological science
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in the health and safety area
- A minimum of 2 years of management experience
- A minimum of 5 years of working knowledge and experience with state and/or federal regulations/regulators
- A certified safety professional (CSP) and certified industrial hygienist (CIH) preferred
- A minimum of 5 years of management experience is preferred
REQUIRED & DESIRED SKILLS
- Detailed knowledge of applicable site health and safety regulatory compliance requirements (local, state and federal)
- Detailed understanding of how to prescribe, apply and assess compliance with applicable codes, standards and regulations
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Strong leadership and coaching skills
- Ability to manage and/or monitor multiple projects and activities occurring simultaneously
- Ability to work with employees at all organizational levels
- Detailed knowledge of EnergySolutions commercial and government projects
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Word, database applications and spreadsheets
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.
Our Latest Articles