Highway and Bridge Maintenance Operator
This position is based out of our Kelowna location and is responsible for operating a variety of equipment and performing manual labor required to maintain the highway and right-of-way assets. Ensuring conformance of the designated section of the Highway or Bridge with required OMR standards and contractual requirements. Inspecting and patrolling the highway and initiating the delivery of the appropriate Operations and Maintenance action or incident response including snow and ice control, accident response, etc. in compliance with the contractual requirements
This is a unionized position, the successful candidate will be required to join Local 115 – Union of Operating Engineers as a condition of employment.
How will you contribute to the team?
- Operate highway vehicles/equipment, including snow plow and materials spreader trucks in the winter season, to maintaining the travelled highway surfaces in safe condition according to BCMOT maintenance standards and WRB Bridge specific contractual requirements
- Operate and maintain a variety of highway maintenance equipment (including loaders, tractors, small power equipment, and power tools) required to repair and maintain all assets (WRB Bridge and Highway approaches) according to BCMOT maintenance standards and WRB Bridge specific contractual requirements
- Perform general manual labour required to maintain and repair the WRB Bridge and/or Highway approaches (including litter removal, road kill removal, traffic control, grass cutting, drainage system maintenance, weed pulling, signs and related damages and cleaning, spring debris clean-up and bridge structure cleaning)
- Perform equipment operations and manual labour duties related to preventative maintenance of highway assets (including bridge components, pavement surfaces, and drainage facilities)
- Perform planned and emergency traffic control services, and assist in accident response and site clean-up, in compliance with the applicable traffic control regulations
- Prepare daily work records of activities and accomplishments, including equipment operating times and vehicle performance
- Assist in routine vehicle and equipment maintenance and repairs, including Patrol yard maintenance and general good house-keeping clean-up practices
- Conduct and/or assist with inspection activities for the highway asset management
- Work outside regular hours to address emergency situations in potentially adverse weather conditions
- Ability to work a rotating shift as and when required with the willingness and ability to be on-call at various times throughout the year
What will you contribute?
- Possess a general knowledge of highway vehicle operations
- Proven work experience with various types of maintenance equipment and manual labour tasks common in road maintenance operations
- Possessing and maintaining a valid BC Class 5 driver license with clean driving abstract is considered a condition of employment
- Intermediate level of computer skills, ability to complete reports and documentation online
- Proven work performance related to attention to detail, timeliness and organization
- Excellent documentation, attention to detail and problem solving
- Must be able to stand and walk for long periods of time
- Self starter with proven ability to work productively when not supervised, ability to work alone
- Ability to work at higher elevations
- Ability to work rotating shifts, often in extreme and isolated conditions, 24/7/365
- Demonstrate good working knowledge of workplace health and safety
- Ability to deal with the public in a calm, patient and professional manner, even during times of stress or conflict
At SNC-Lavalin, you will enjoy competitive compensation, a safe and healthy work environment, and a full range of benefits (ie.: group insurance, retirement savings plan, share purchase plan, continuing education program, etc.).
You think that a career in our team could match your profile, submit your application online now!
The masculine gender is used only to simplify the wording.
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
SNC-Lavalin cares about your privacy. SNC-Lavalin and other subsidiary or affiliated companies of SNC-Lavalin (referred to throughout as “SNC-Lavalin”) are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to SNC-Lavalin, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com