Highway Design Project Director
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. We have been providing infrastructure planning, engineering, construction, environmental consulting, urban planning, architecture, and program management services to public and private clients across the United States for more than 50 years.
We were ranked as the world’s 3rd largest global design firm by ENR in 2018 with nearly 55,000 employees worldwide. We have the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Raleigh, NC Department of Transportation Group as a Highway Design Project Director. This position can be based out of our Raleigh, NC, Charlotte, NC, or Atlanta, GA office. Relocation assistance is available.
Atkins is looking for an experienced individual who can help build and deliver a traditional consulting roadway design practice throughout the East/South regions. The ideal candidate for this role will have experience working on and delivering major Design/Build projects and have a strong background with providing Alternative Delivery services.
Under general direction, manages very complex and unconventional technology or delivery systems for specific and corporately significant clients. May involve the management of multiple projects in a specific delivery system. Responsible for the financial performance of projects of considerable magnitude and risk to the Company. Typical projects might include major construction management engagements, design-build projects of national significance, design-build-operate-maintain undertakings, unique and complex wastewater treatment facility design, or large environmental studies requiring specialized knowledge and abilities. Responsible for mentoring project staff associated with highly sophisticated and unconventional projects. Projects of this magnitude generally involve over $5 million annually in net revenue and require very specialized expertise or experience of the individual.
- INTERNAL STAFF ADMINISTRATION. Assists management team in identifying staffing needs based on future workload and manpower projections for project staffing. Reviews managers' recommendations to recruit, hire, transfer, or terminate project staff; approves/disapproves or endorses recommendations, and presents to senior management for approval as required by established authorization guidelines. Reviews and makes decision on recommendations for salary offers for new hire candidates, as well as salary and position adjustment actions for project staff, subject to senior management review and approval. Approves personnel actions as established by authorization guidelines. Conducts semi-annual performance reviews and annual career planning sessions with management staff within assigned project. Provides staff with ongoing performance feedback and counsel to promote improved performance and career development. Identifies and nurtures potential future project management leaders within existing staff to promote expansion of services. Helps staff identify and pursue technical and professional development activities consistent with their career development goals and project objectives/needs. Advises project staff concerning company policies and procedures; monitors and enforces compliance.
- PROJECT PRODUCTION AND MANAGEMENT. Assists project staff in developing work plans; reviews and approves schedules, budgets, project milestone dates, and work products. Works closely with the TPO to staff projects based on client/project needs. Oversees financial performance of projects; assists project staff in identifying potential problems to ensure remedial actions are promptly taken to avoid financial losses and client dissatisfaction. Monitors and enforces compliance with established quality control standards, ensuring that appropriate quality assurance activities are being performed throughout the project. Reviews QC plans and periodic QA compliance audits. Assists assigned project staff in facilitating work sharing with other operating units. Secures resource support from other operating units. Establishes work sharing commitments and negotiates outsourcing budgets with technical managers.
- MARKETING AND CLIENT MAINTENANCE. Responsible for maintaining positive client relations with existing clients and building new relationships with others. Develops, implements, and monitors annual and strategic marketing plans for targeted projects; participates in the development of Strategic Plan. Actively pursues, investigates, and evaluates new or expanded opportunities for associated projects and services within the firm by maintaining contacts with current and prospective client decision makers; identifies and works toward the resolution of client relations problems. . Reviews proposals and selects interview teams; reviews and recommends project marketing budgets subject to approval by senior management. Maintains visibility and professional courtesy by actively participating in civic and professional organizations and encourages project staff to do the same. Maintains regional/national prominence and recognition through published technical work and/or presentation of papers at national or regional technical conferences.
- CONTRACTS AND FINANCIAL. Conducts contract negotiations with clients and sub-consultants. Develops and recommends operational budgets for approval by senior management. Reviews and makes decision on proposed project budgets. Monitors monthly performance against budget to ensure project profitability. Manages the project as a profit center; controls G&A costs; reviews and manages revenue stream. Approves purchase requests for capital items as specified in the Authorization Matrix. Manages accounts receivables and client billings; reviews and makes decision concerning final write-offs and past due accounts receivables as specified in the Authorization Matrix.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree in engineering. Graduate degree preferred. Management coursework and/or MBA a plus.
This level may be achieved by technical professionals or managers with fifteen years of experience since B.S. or fourteen years since M.S., with at least two of these years in the Senior Program Manager position with highly complex project management responsibility.
Excellent technical and interpersonal skills, public speaking and persuasive ability; very strong financial management, team management, and leadership skills; ability to manage and coordinate efforts of various projects to produce budgeted profits and overall results. Possesses specific expertise to the extent that the individual is regarded as one of the Company's experts in a specific discipline, contract delivery method, particular type of project, planning process, design method, or modeling technique. Personal computer proficiency is required.
PROFESSIONAL REGISTRATIONSP.E. license is required
Experience working with state DOTs within the East and/or South is preferred but not required.
Experience with Alternative Delivery services is required.
Experience working on Design/Build projects is required.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:http://careers.atkinsglobal.com/File.ashx?path=Root/Documents/north-america-welcome-new-employee/Equal_Opp_Stmt.pdf
SNC-Lavalin cares about your privacy. SNC-Lavalin and other subsidiary or affiliated companies of SNC-Lavalin (referred to throughout as “SNC-Lavalin”) are committed to protecting your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data here: http://www.snclavalin.com/en/files/documents/policies/privacy-statement_recruitment_en.PDF
By submitting your personal information to SNC-Lavalin, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Our Latest Articles