Highway Technology Engineer
Highway Technology Engineer
Atkins, Balfour Beatty and Egis Road Operations UK are part of a consortium, creating Connect Plus Services, a unique partnership with a collective strength in highways asset care from finance, through to design, build, maintenance as well as day to day operation.
Our Design Team are currently recruiting for a Highways Technology Engineer.
Provide cost effective design solutions to maintain, renew or improve the Highways England technology and tunnel technology assets to the standards agreed and considering the needs of key stakeholders.
Develop the use of new, innovative and value driven Technology solutions across the M25 road network and CPS’ broad work scope. Deliver the outcomes agreed by Highways England and Connect Plus DBFO Co. to programme, budget and ‘best in class’ standards.
• Agree briefs, programmes and budgets with the Design Manager and Senior Enginer/Project Manager or client.
• Prepare briefs, works instructions, designs, fee estimates, reports, specifications and other deliverables for highways schemes to budget and programme.
• Ensure designs are appropriate and meet the expected levels of quality.
• Allocate tasks to other design disciplines and monitor progress and costs.
• Monitor and check designs and supplier proposals ensure they meet the brief. Manage/approve technology designs and associated implementation and commissioning in line with DMRB standards and protocols.
• Where engaged manage external resourses to deliver the agreed outcomes.
• Contibuted to innovation in the delivery of technology schemes and techniques used in inspection, design, construction, maintenance and renewal/de-commisioning.
• Ensure the Integrated Management System (IMS) is actively applied to all designs.
• Deliver large complex schemes (or several smaller schemes) to programme and budget.
• Allocate tasks to other supporting members of the team and oversee delivery and report on resourcing issues.
• Provide professional and technical competence and mentoring in all aspects of Technology related highway and tunnel systems engineering.
• Report to the Design Manage/Senior Engineer on performance against budget and programme.
• Identify schemes/opportunities that need to be included in the Five Year Programme. Develop suitable value Management documentation and Life-cycle proposal Forms setting out the value proposition for Improvements and renewals.
• Assist the Network Strategy and Technology Managers in the proposals process.
• Live the Connect Plus Services Values.
• Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm.
• Support the delivery of the business’ Sustainability activities
Qualifications/ skills/ experience:
• Good first engineering or science degree or higher with relevant professional qualifications, e.g. membership of professional body such as IET, ICE, or similar and ongoing CPD.
• Detailed knowledge of design codes relevant to resilient technology / highway design (DMRB/MCDHW/TSRGD etc), use of appropriate computer design applications and BIM.
• Experience of driving design, design and construction solutions and innovation in the Technology sphere as applied to highway engineering, on Local Authority or the strategic high speed network sectors.
• An inspiring engineer, interpersonally strong, with energy & drive and a 'hands on approach' to end:end project delivery and management, ensuring interdisciplinary awareness and coordination between colleagues, supply chain and Highways England.
• Technically creative and strong with project management experience - keen to promote resilience in Technology Service levels, plus new technologies and ways of working in a demanding environment which includes closely managed asset whole life performance and cost constraints.
• Technology design ,implementation, commissioning and hand-over to Operations. Management experience and coordinating interfaces with other disciplines.
• Broad skills, knowledge and understanding of other highway related design areas including environmental/sustainability requirements.
• Ability to develop and share expertise and experience as well as supporting development of new propositions/services.
• Knowledge of CDM and other H&S legislation.
• Competent in exercising the Designer’s obligations of CDM.
• Broad knowledge of Quality Management & IMS.
• Hold appropriate CSCS card registration.
• Licensed to drive in the UK or with reciprocal agreement.
• Ability to travel around the M25 network with occasional trips around the UK.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Are you ready to take up a vital role in shaping some of our exciting projects? How about joining our talented team, where everyone has a voice, and together we face our clients' problems head-on. It'
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs