Following our recent success in securing Highways England’s East of England Design Service Commission, we are looking for dynamic, charismatic Highways Engineers to join our team across three core delivery offices (Highways England Offices in Bedford, Atkins offices in Chelmsford and Cambridge).
About the Project
Atkins has been appointed by Highways England to deliver detailed design and associated consulting services for the asset improvement schemes planned for the east of England, helping to look after 1500 miles of strategic highways and over 2000 structures.
About the role
As a Highways Engineer, you will need a good level of technical competence in highway engineering design (renewals and improvements). You will help to ensure the technical quality of part of a major portfolio of highway renewal and improvement works, embracing collaborative working and helping to drive cashable efficiencies for Highways England.
You will be responsible to a Design Team Leader or Senior Engineer for ensuring that your projects are designed in accordance with the highest Technical standards and, Highways England’s imperatives.
What you will be doing?
- Helping to create solutions ready for construction for highway maintenance and improvement projects that embrace innovation at all stages.
- Undertaking new scheme designs or completing the scheme designs undertaken by Others to the highest appropriate technical standards.
- Engaging with Highways England’s contractors to support the design development.
- Supporting the preparation of tender and contract documentation to various forms of contract.
- Supporting the Design Team Leader, Technical Leads and Project Managers on technical aspects of designs from project initiation through to completion.
- Assisting with the preparation of design resource estimates and assisting the Design Team Leader/Senior Engineer in managing projects assigned to you.
- Helping to develop construction cost estimates and undertaking designs within time, quality and budget constraints.
- Ensuring compliance with Atkins quality systems and ensuring Highways England performance criteria are met.
- Helping to ensure that project margins are maintained, change control is effectively managed and re-work minimised to ensure commercial targets are met.
- Engaging with Highways England, Contractors and Stakeholders and building relationships.
- Developing others to maximise individual/team performance, inputting to performance reviews, and creating diverse teams as assigned.
- Encouraging innovation and continuous improvement to provide efficiency savings for Highways England.
- Helping to manage the welfare and safety of the team, applying appropriate safe systems of work and managing/undertaking specific risk assessments.
- Though first and foremost, we want to recruit the right people to the team. We will then always aim to work with individuals to make sure that their role plays to their natural strengths.
You’ll need to have
- Chartership (Incorporated or Chartered Engineer) or working towards professional qualifications.
- HND, BEng or Meng in Civil Engineering (or similar).
- Experience of designing highway engineering solutions in accordance with the DMRB that are; ready for construction, embrace innovation and offer appropriate solutions to achieve project objectives within programme and budget constraints.
- Experience in all aspects of highway design including geometric design of links and all types of junctions using 3D, with experience in highway drainage design including flood storage and environmental considerations.
- Proven experience of detailing the elements of a highway engineering project (including, but not limited to those in the HCD) to ensure minimal changes or queries during construction
- The ability to work within a BIM2 environment with knowledge and awareness of proprietary design software such as Civils 3D, ProjectWise, Micro-Drainage and others).
Atkins is ranked as one of ‘The Sunday Times 25 Best Big Companies to Work For’ and as one of the ‘The Times Top 50 Employers for Women’. We support flexible working and equal opportunities as we believe that diverse teams provide the best mix of interpersonal and technical skills needed to exceed our customers’ expectations. Our commitment to staff development is underpinned by numerous stable and long-term framework agreements with key clients.
We are one of the world’s foremost engineering and design consultancies, operating in most regions of the world, and in virtually every market. Choosing to work for Atkins will provide you with the opportunity to engage on some of the most exciting engineering challenges of our time. Together with our rewarding and flexible packages, you’ll have the perfect balance to bring your personal and career goals to fruition.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.