Highways: Group Engineer/ Project Manager
This vacancy has now expired... why not:
Our Transportation division is seeking an experienced Engineer / project manager to lead on the delivery of engineering projects within our major Local Authority professional services contracts in the south of England. The role will involve heading up a team of engineers, graduates and technicians to develop solutions from concept to implementation, across a wide range of small, medium and large highway projects.
The successful candidate will be responsible for engaging with clients in both the delivery of projects and the development of future work as well as the mentoring and personal development of team members.
The role will be full time, working primarily between our office and the clients’ offices in Winchester and Hampshire County Council. It will also involve travel to the Atkins’ Hub offices where projects are being delivered from or support services undertaken.
• Leading technical delivery of civil engineering projects / civil engineering input into multi-disciplinary projects.
• Demonstrable experience in project management.
• Using your excellent analytical skills to derive potential solutions to engineering problems and engineering judgement to appraise and recommend options.
• Act as Technical Lead or Technical Reviewer on projects.
• Overseeing completion of designs and the production of and review design documentation including sketches, drawings, calculations, reports and specifications.
• Staying abreast of industry developments and changes in standards.
• Ensuring work produced is technically accurate and delivered in accordance with the appropriate standards.
• Developing more junior staff by technical training and mentoring. You’ll most likely be acting as a Delegated Engineer or Supervising Civil Engineer for those under formal training agreements.
• Working with and supporting multi-disciplinary global teams.
• Maintaining and developing excellent professional relationships which can secure repeat business.
• Presenting to clients and key stakeholders in a professional, responsive and client focused manner.
• Client, programme and financial management of projects.
• Assisting with / preparing fee offers for agreement with the client.
• Assigning work to and checking / reviewing the project team’s work.
• Assisting the Regional Highways Manager and PMs to plan delivery of portfolios.
• Working collaboratively across the Atkins Group.
• BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
• Chartered / Incorporated status and corporate membership of the ICE, IHT or IStructE.
• Extensive experience of working with local authorities as consultant or client.
• In depth knowledge and experience of delivering design solutions appropriate to the needs of the clients.
• Ability to write project briefs, prepare project plans and calculate fee estimates.
• Experience of managing the supply chain.
• Experience of financial and budgetary processes.
• Ability to identify and respond to our clients’ values in a competitive market sector.
• Proven ability to keep control in pressed situations, deliver work within set timeframes and create a well-motivated team.
• Experience of demonstrating best value and innovation to clients.
• Ability to work flexibly between Atkins and client offices.
• Collaborative behaviours with both staff and client.
• Knowledge of business models adopted in the sector and commercial and technical risks.
• Experience of client engagement and business development activities.
• Positive and practical with experience of managing resources, mentoring engineers and inspiring multidisciplinary teams to exceed client expectations.
• Knowledge gained from working within a contractor and/or client organisation.
• Hold a valid UK driving licence.
• Experience of supervising highway works contracts
• Excellent interpersonal, organisational and communication skills both verbally and in writing.
• A hard working and flexible individual, who is a team player, is reliable, proactive and shows initiative whilst able to keep cool under pressure and when working to often demanding deadlines.
• Ability to build and motivate a team and demonstrate good leadership qualities.
• Self motivated and able to work both independently as well as within a larger multi-discipline team in leading and managing packages of work to completion, within budget and to programme.
• A high expectation of performance for themselves and other members of the team.
• Customer focused with excellent relationship management skills.
• Ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
• A supportive and encouraging approach to mentoring less experienced members of the team.
• Ability to adapt to different cultures and working environments to build rapport with clients.
• Excellent commercial acumen.
• Holds a valid UK driving licence.
Connecting countries, cities and communities, our Transportation team works on some of the most challenging projects of our time. Helping people to travel reliably and more efficiently, we transform rail and highway infrastructure. So, get on board and play a big part in our success.
We’ll value you for going beyond to exceed expectations and deliver innovative solutions nobody else can. After all, we can’t achieve great things without you. So, you can look forward to fantastic rewards and development opportunities.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.