Highways: Principal Engineer/ Project Manager
Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of new and exciting ideas. Atkins have a vision to shape the future of transportation, to lead where others follow and to deliver the future of mobility today. Atkins Transportation Division covers all aspects of multidisciplinary design and management from inception to options appraisal through to detailed scheme design and delivery support.
The transport sector is evolving. At Atkins, we provide a complete set of project-based and tailored advisory services across the Highways, Rail, International and Local Transport markets. We help to develop strategies and strengthen frameworks that effectively respond to market demands and bring ideas to life.
Atkins Transportation Division covers all aspects of multidisciplinary design and management from inception to options appraisal through to detailed scheme design and delivery support. Atkins is one of the UK’s leading multi-disciplinary consultancies engaged in numerous high-profile projects for Clients in both the Public and Private Sector.
Following recent successes, including winning a portfolio of major highways schemes as part of Highways England’s £8.7bn ‘Routes to Market’ Regional Delivery Partnership, we are recruiting experienced Associate Project Managers / Project Managers / Senior Project Managers for a range of Highways and Transportation projects throughout the UK. If you are looking for your next career opportunity this could be the role for you. The Project Delivery practice within our Transportation division leads our portfolio of major projects.
Though innovative partnerships with our clients and others, Atkins is shaping the future of transport. Our staff understand the industry’s challenges and are maximising opportunities for growth and the benefit of society.
You will work with the teams in one of our regional offices, leading the management of multi-discipline projects to the Highways Sector. You’ll be working closely with our Clients and contractor partners, taking responsibility for all aspects of project delivery and driving new ways of working; championing collaboration and developing shared goals to achieve effective and efficient delivery.
You will have demonstrable experience in a Project Leadership role in delivery and must be able to appreciate complex practical, technical and commercial issues. You’ll work constructively with contractor and supply-chain partners alongside a broad range of other stakeholders; leading project teams that are either local to you or distributed across multiple sites.
The opportunities we have are varied in size and nature, and suit a range of project leadership styles, backgrounds and experience levels. We are looking for leaders with experience in design and build for contractor clients or project delivery for ultimate infrastructure clients.
Other aspects of the role will include supporting the growth of our capabilities in Transportation building a reputation for excellence, mentoring others, supporting business development and bidding activities.
You will have:
- A successful track record of managing multi-discipline project teams.
- Awareness of relevant design standards (e.g. DMRB, TSRGD, MCHW, Manual for Streets, Eurocodes and those of Welsh Government, Highways England and Network Rail)
- An understanding of highway construction processes, with experience of delivery within a fixed-priced or target-cost,
- Experience of working with key clients such as Developers and major Contractors
- Strong understanding and experience of design and build contracts
- Well-developed leadership, communication, negotiating, influencing and inter-personal skills, with the drive and commitment to achieve project/ programme wide objectives.
- Strong commercial acumen with the ability to set, manage and control budgets.
- Confidence to manage client relationships and engage constructively with multiple stakeholders at all levels.
- The ability to motivate and mentor staff.
- Knowledge and commitment to customer service, financial and risk control, competitive tendering, quality and health and safety matters.
- Experience in programme planning, buildability assessment, setting standards, providing guidance and auditing delivery.
- Through your work you will also help support and shape the development of future business, support tender opportunities and build strong relationships.
- You will enjoy turning your hand to new challenges and will be keen to learn, whilst also wanting to support others within our diverse multi-disciplinary teams.
In addition to having excellent people and problem-solving skills, you will also be able to demonstrate the following:
- Demonstrate a responsible attitude towards health, safety and wellbeing.
- Degree qualified in a related Engineering discipline, and/or hold a professional Project or Programme Management related qualification.
- Direct experience of taking full responsibility for multi-million-pound projects as a leader, demonstrating accountability for quality, time, cost and technical performance parameters agreed with client.
- Some work outside normal office hours may be necessary. Travel to and from client sites and/or temporary secondment to client’s offices may also be required.
- This is an exciting time for Atkins. There will be opportunities for international travel and applicants with a desire for non-UK based assignments will be welcomed.
- Atkins recognises that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career in highways, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
- Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff to achieve their full potential.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.