Highways: Senior Engineer
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of new and exciting ideas. We have a vision to shape the future of transportation, to lead where others follow and to deliver the future of mobility today. Atkins’ Transportation Division covers all aspects of multidisciplinary design and management from inception to options appraisal through to detailed scheme design and delivery support.
Our Highways Practice is designing and delivering crucial highways projects in the Midlands and across the UK for Highways England, Local Highway Authorities and contractors. Our Midlands staff are shaping and driving industry-leading projects such as the A14 Cambridge to Huntingdon scheme, as well as delivering locally at the forefront of improving connectivity in thriving city centres such as Birmingham. We are also delivering significant highways packages for major rail improvements such as HS2 and East-West Rail. We have a strong pipeline and offer dynamic opportunities.
To continue our growth as we shape the future of transportation, we are looking for senior highway design engineers with broad ranging experience in highway design and delivery to join our Highways Practice in Birmingham or Nottingham. We are proud to offer great projects, career development and excellent work-life balance to highways design engineers from convenient office locations in the West and East Midlands.
As a highways design engineer in our growing team you will be a competent designer with proven ability to take ownership of design solutions, delivering to the highest technical standards and quality targets. The role provides opportunities for leading the design development and assessment for highways schemes from vital local improvements to strategic infrastructure projects with values of over £1bn.
You will be responsible for delivering on our safety values, leading our teams to design-in safety, providing leadership on project documentation and ensuring risks are identified, assessed and managed in accordance with CDM Regulations, and meeting or exceeding industry best practice for other clients. You'll be given opportunities in project management as well as design development and delivery. We proudly offer support for both pure technical and blended technical / project management career paths.
You’ll use your excellent communications skills to articulate design challenges and propose solutions, for example by preparing or reviewing clear and robust Departures from Standard applications. This will require you to engage with the client, stakeholders and contractors to deliver safety objectives for the affected parties. To succeed you will need to be motivated, passionate and work collaboratively with others. Your expertise will influence the decision making on complex infrastructure such as Smart Motorways and help ensure that a systematic and proportionate approach to decisions and risk is at the core of the next generation of highway design.
We will value you for going beyond to exceed expectations and deliver innovative solutions nobody else can. After all, we can’t achieve great things without you. So, you can look forward to fantastic rewards and development opportunities.
• You'll be responsible for highway design development and producing design documentation, challenging and enhancing our team’s offering to exceed client expectations, typically as discipline or package lead. You’ll work as part of a team on design reviews, collaborating with other disciplines.
• You'll be responsible for integrating safety in your behaviours and outputs, delivering on our safety values for clients.
• You’ll apply your highways design expertise for various multi-disciplinary projects in accordance with the Atkins Business Management System and in compliance with quality, safety and environmental standards.
• You’ll derive design solutions by drawing upon your expertise and collaborating across the business, using your excellent analytical skills to solve engineering problems and applying your engineering judgement to appraise and recommend options.
• You’ll lead on strategy and governance of our designs, developing or supervising technical notes and products such as the Design Strategy Record, Designer’s Risk Assessment, specific safety risk assessments and maintenance strategies.
• You’ll stay abreast of industry developments and changes in standards; maintaining and developing excellent professional relationships with clients, preparing fee offers and presenting to internal and external stakeholders.
• You’ll work collaboratively across the Atkins business and with our partner organisations and contribute to pastoral care and development of more junior staff by technical training and mentoring.
• BEng / MEng or MSc degree in civil engineering or equivalent.
• Chartered status and membership of the ICE or CIHT; or able to demonstrate a pathway to chartership in the near future as part of your plan for this role.
• Experience of working with our key clients, e.g. Local Authorities, Highways England, Developers and/or Contractors.
• Able to demonstrate in-depth understanding of the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges and BIM, and their use in design.
• Able to demonstrate experience in justifying and documenting highways design decisions; experienced in working with Departures from Standards or safety risk assessments.
• Able to demonstrate that you are a resourceful problem solver and excellent communicator.
• Able to demonstrate strong commercial awareness and an active contribution to tenders and proposals.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.