Role location: Epsom, Oxford, Birmingham or Peterborough
Do you have the drive, initiative and experience to join our Water Management Consultancy team as a Hydrogeologist? Are you eager to develop your career and help deliver and grow our portfolio of high-profile projects solving groundwater challenges in the water resources management, environmental and infrastructure sectors?
SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies and together, we have over 50,000 employees worldwide. At Atkins, we offer more than just a job. We offer an opportunity to make a difference and shape the world to benefit future generations and the natural environment.
As part of this commitment, we understand the need for a diverse and flexible workforce, where a work-life balance is important. So, by default Atkins offers flexible working. Similarly, Atkins’ corporate social responsibility provides the opportunity to give something back to the community, and we run professional networks supporting groups such as local schools, charities, parents, those coming out of the armed-forces and women in engineering.
Our Water Management Consultancy team operates at the interface between people and the water environment. Our key services cover all aspects of water management including: hydrogeology and hydrology, aquatic ecology, hydromorphology and river restoration, water resources and water quality planning, climate futures and resilience, integrated catchment management, regulation and assurance, strategic asset management, flood and coastal erosion risk management, coastal and marine environmental management, natural capital assessment and economic appraisal.
Following significant successes in securing forward work programmes in water resources management, environmental and major infrastructure projects, we have a vacancy for an enthusiastic and ambitious individual with skills and several years’ experience in hydrogeology and groundwater management. This vacancy is for a Hydrogeologist position in Epsom, Oxford, Birmingham or Peterborough.
We are looking for someone with excellent communication and analytical skills who is keen to work within a high achieving team environment. You should have the drive, initiative and focus on quality to get things done to a high standard with minimal supervision. You should hold a post-graduate qualification in hydrogeology or a related subject and have several years’ relevant experience within consultancy, water company or regulatory fields, ideally within the UK, or of UK hydrogeology research in academia. You must be numerate, have an eye for detail and enjoy solving challenging hydrogeological / hydrological problems.
We have a friendly and approachable team which has an excellent reputation across a range of clients.
You will be expected to work as part of this team delivering a range of projects relating to groundwater and surface water supply, strategic planning, resource optimisation and environmental assessment in the UK and potentially overseas.
We are looking for experienced, enthusiastic, flexible self-starters capable of both independent and team working to resolve complex technical challenges and who are keen to develop their skills.
- First degree in science, engineering or mathematics
- Post-graduate qualification in hydrogeology or a related subject
- Chartered or working towards chartership (e.g. with the Geological Society, ICE or CIWEM). Degree must therefore be accredited by the relevant professional body
- Several years’ demonstrable experience as a hydrogeologist within consultancy, water company, regulatory or academic fields.
- An understanding of UK hydrogeology and of the environmental and regulatory framework of UK water management
- Excellent report-writing and numerical skills including significant experience of working with spreadsheets
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the potential to engage and influence at all levels and to work effectively within multidisciplinary teams, as well as individually
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- A valid UK driving licence
- A legal right to work in the UK without company sponsorship
- Skills in GIS, computer programming, groundwater and surface water modelling would be an advantage
- Availability to travel across the UK and occasionally overseas
- Undertake a variety of both office- and field-based projects across the UK and potentially overseas
- work in an integrated team of water resources and environmental specialists and be responsible for helping to deliver projects to the highest standard
- provide technical input to a variety of projects covering all aspects of water resources hydrogeology and hydrology including borehole design and pumping test analysis, groundwater flow modelling, deployable output assessment and water resource planning, environmental assessment, catchment management and water quality assessment and modelling
- plan, lead and undertake field monitoring programmes and investigations. These may include supervision of drilling contractors and hydrogeological, hydrological and water quality monitoring. All will require appropriate attention to health and safety and environmental management requirements
- support work-winning activities
- be expected to demonstrate effective time management and to deliver delegated tasks to specified deadlines and within budget
- work collaboratively across Atkins and SNC Lavalin businesses helping to cross-sell Atkins’ services .
- Focused on achieving and delivering quality and technical excellence
- Able to apply technical knowledge in analysing problems and finding solutions to new challenges
- Able to review evidence and produce succinct, accurate and timely summaries
- Able to work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team, as well as individually for discrete tasks
- Highly motivated, proactive, and drive for continuous development
What we offer
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to conventional full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements. As part of this commitment, we understand the need for a diverse and flexible workforce, where a work-life balance is important. So, by default Atkins offers flexible working, where there is no fixed 9 ‘till 5, no need for a 5-day week, and no requirement to spend all your working time in the office.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual development process. We support staff in achieving and maintaining membership of relevant institutions. You will also be part of our global Technical Networks, which provide a flow of technically orientated information and ideas through the company. For this role, our Groundwater Resource Management Technical Network will support your learning, but there are many others you could also join.
Atkins will support you in your professional training to become a Chartered Professional, whether with the Geological Society, CIWEM or ICE. This includes paying your annual membership, providing a mentor and enrolling you in our accredited training schemes.
Rewards and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary that is regularly tested against other consultants, with a default 25-days leave each year plus bank holidays and options to buy or sell some of that leave.
To support and safeguard your physical and mental wellbeing we provide an employee assistance programme offering advice and support in times of need. Our offices run their own sports and social clubs providing a wide range of activities. You will also have access to our Flexible Benefits, where you can opt in to a wide range of benefits to complement your work/life balance such as medical insurance, gym membership, the cycle-to-work scheme, child care vouchers, charitable giving, additional pension contributions etc.
Please refer to our website for details of our full benefits package
We encourage the opportunity to discuss a flexible working pattern for this vacancy, and we ask you to explore the flexible working options during the interview process.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
Atkins recognise that there are many well qualified people who are looking to further their career, but who cannot commit to full time employment. We support flexible working arrangements and are interested to discuss how we can accommodate individual requirements.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
Surface water & drainage
Location options: Birmingham, Epsom, Oxford, PeterboroughSNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies and together, we ha
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs