ICT & Telecoms Design Engineer
Atkins is one of the world’s leading design, engineering and project management consultancies. We have the breadth and depth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time critical projects. Protecting the security of our home and of our citizens abroad is one of government’s highest priorities. Our role as a trusted advisor allows us to offer rewarding careers to people who want to enhance their skills and build on their experience in this dynamic sector.
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Project Engineer who specialises in ICT Passive Infrastructure to join the team. Reporting to the Capability Lead for ICT Infrastructure, you will manage, co-ordinate and produce design and construction drawings, specifications, reports and studies to support Information Communication Technology (ICT) and Computer Information Systems (CIS) project work.
As well as infrastructure design, you may also undertake technical site surveys, investigations, site installation activities and technical assurance of ICT/CIS infrastructure. You will support our clients from all the lifecycle stages of a project from requirements capture, business case development, initial design through to detailed design, installation, commissioning, handover and in life support.
When not actively involved in project work, you will support the bid teams in providing responses to proposals/PQQ/ITT and assisting the Capability lead in building the experience and profile of the capability.
The role can be based from Epsom, Bristol or Glasgow with travel to other UK mainland locations as required which may require overnight stays. There are opportunities for secondment into other Atkins teams and the possibility of work overseas.
• Produce high quality project work to meet agreed standards and specifications;
• Produce technical surveys, concept designs and construction drawings in compliance with relevant industry standards and regulations;
• Maintain a reliable and consistent communication interface with other team members;
• ICT design work including AutoCAD designs and specifications;
• Client liaison, relationship management and business development;
• Liaison with other contractors, companies, suppliers and internal multi-disciplined engineering teams;
• Awareness of security and information assurance;
• Awareness of Project management requirements and techniques;
• To ensure Atkins corporate business processes and procedures are followed as appropriate, and assist in meeting the requirements of internal and external audit teams;
• Support bid work, including the preparation of responses to PQQ and ITT; and
You should be able to demonstrate:
• Knowledge of ICT/CIS passive infrastructure systems, ideally including HVAC and power requirements
• Experience in the design and construction of data centres; and
• Experience in the design of resilient communications infrastructure.
• Engineering degree or equivalent desirable;
• ICT design and project management qualifications, such as NVQs, HNC or HND, or Modern Apprenticeship;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills;
• Competent in use of MS Project, AutoCAD, and MS Office - Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook;
• Able to create documents/ reports/ processes appropriate to the needs of the recipient;
• Able to demonstrate organisation ability, time management and prioritising work load.
The following are also preferable, but not essential, competencies:
• CIDA qualification;
• Good relevant experience and understanding of building services infrastructure;
• Health & Safety construction certification;
• Experience of commercial construction, MOD and other Government departments projects;
• CDCDP, CTPM, CNIDP or RCDD qualification
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.