Atkins is one of the world’s most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. We build long-term trusted partnerships to create a world where lives are enriched through the implementation of new and exciting ideas. Atkins has a vision to shape the future of transportation, to lead where others will follow and to deliver the future of mobility today.
Atkins has a vision to shape the future, to lead where others will follow and to engineer the future of mobility today through Safety, Integrity, Collaboration and Innovation. Atkins is the first to achieve BIM level 2 accreditation.
The Transportation business covers all aspects of multidisciplinary design and management for the design and delivery of highway and rail infrastructure projects. Our work ranges from inception and options appraisal through to detailed design and delivery/construction support. We aim to be the first-choice designer for local and national authorities, contractors and developers.
The worlds of design, construction, operations and maintenance are evolving rapidly and technology and its implementation is a fundamental element to our future success. We are increasingly adopting integrated agile design techniques that rely on the seamless exchange of information and data exchange across a wide range of production and delivery platforms. Common Data Environments that allow data to be at the heart of what we do are increasingly common.
As an ever-growing business we are seeking talented and passionate Information Managers to join our Engineering team. As an Information Manager you’ll be responsible for ensuring that our digital content is produced, stored, shared and exploited using the latest technologies and practices. You’ll seek to challenge conventions both internally and with our clients with the aim of delivering our projects much more effectively. You’ll be already familiar with digital engineering and the wide range of tools and technologies being used in the industry, but you’ll also have your own vision on how we might all work more effectively. You might also have interests in GIS, data management, software coding and the like; but your passion for the subject is something that we’ll want you to share across our teams and clients using your strong communication and collaboration skills.
If this sounds like you, and you want to be part of our journey, we’d be delighted to hear from you.
Purpose of the Role
The role of our Information Managers is always evolving. You’ll help our range of projects take decisions on how best to produce, manage and share digital information to optimise delivery, enhance quality, avoid errors and ultimately exceed Client requirements. You’ll also provide detailed advice and support to our teams around how changing technologies might help enhance and streamline their individual delivery processes. You will naturally produce and maintain the execution plans for Information Management and Digital Delivery more widely and you’ll work with the team to ensure that they are adhered to throughout the project lifecycle. You will also be part of a much wider network of Information Managers who will support our Digital Engineering Director in setting the strategic direction of the business in this rapidly evolving area of the industry.
We are looking for individuals with a real passion and drive to make Information Management the centre of our integrated delivery approach. To do this you’ll need to have a wide range of positive behaviours including being collaborative, open, empathetic, enthusiastic, resilient, tenacious, hardworking and delivery orientated. As a lead with our teams you’ll be visible and accessible to our teams with an ability to work effectively with our teams across our offices in the UK, Europe and India.
We recognise that every project is different but the following duties are provided to give an indication of the activities you’ll be involved with:
- Engaging with clients and asset owning organisations to identify, explore and challenge their Information Management requirements.
- Taking the role and responsibilities of the Project Information Manager as identified in PAS 1192-2:2013 or Information Manager as identified in CIC BIM Protocol 2018
- Establish project processes that ensure delivery of a structured Project information Model that constitute spatially coordinated volumes, progressively maturing into detailed design elements.
- Work with Subject Matter Experts and Discipline leads to establish cost-effective, practical approaches to integrating BIM throughout delivery.
- Support the Project Delivery Manager in the selection of supply chain partners by assisting with their assessment and development.
- Work with the relevant individuals to establish and support the Common Data Environment.
- Interface with all project stakeholders to ensure that data is exchanged effectively and in formats that support their onward purpose.
- Establish and work with a network of Lead Designers, Interface Managers and task information managers to ensure adherence to the BIM requirements of the project in accordance with the BEP.
- Encourage the utilisation of 3D content to review, influence and enhance design.
- Work to maximise the benefits of improved information management in Health and Safety, Sustainability, Operations and Maintenance etc.
- Support stakeholders and legacy; commercial & procurement and benefits.
- Championing BIM on the project and promote, articulate and lead BIM behaviours.
- Lead, develop and coach individuals to build high performing teams and leave a legacy of talent in BIM.
- Coordinate the within the project. engagement with other projects and teams, academia, institutions and other industries in the pursuit of business excellence
Relevant Skills and Experience
We recognise that the route to being an Information Manager is dynamic and varied. The requirements set out below are therefore a guide and we would be happy to receive applications from anyone who believes their skills and experience will add value to the team.
- Degree level or equivalent qualification in Engineering, Mathematics, Software Engineering, Computer Science or other relevant discipline.
- Member of a professional institution desirable.
- Complimentary or additional qualifications may include Data Systems, Data Analytics, ICE BIM Certification and Security.
Locations: Currently we have this role open for Birmingham, Warrington, Glasgow, Epsom, Croydon, Bristol. Kindly mention your location preference while applying...
- Knowledge of engineering design, delivery and construction within any primary infrastructure sector including highways and railways.
- Delivery of BIM and Information Management systems and processes within Medium and Major Projects contexts.
- A thorough understanding of the data, information management, BIM agendas within the UK and the standards and documents that underpin its implementation within the engineering industry.
- Self-motivated and keen to learn across a range of technical subjects and engineering disciplines.
- Programming or application development experience may be advantageous.
- Practical experience delivering 4D/5D models desirable.
- Experience with VR/AR applications desirable.
- Experience with design authoring tools such as AutoCAD or Microstation and some use of design collaboration systems
- Experience with 3D review tools such as AutoDesk NavisWorks, Bentley Navigator desirable.
- Ability to engage with staff at all levels, to provide learning on BIM and drive adoption of BIM process, to ensure sustainable transformation.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary, it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.