Intermediate Electrical Engineer
Intermediate Electrical Engineer
Why join us?
SNC-Lavalin provides cutting-edge engineering, procurement, construction and financing solutions to projects in more than 100 countries around the world. From the Canadian Arctic to the Southern African region and Australasia, our multicultural workforce is driven by a fierce pride in their work and a pioneering vision.
SNC-Lavalin is truly a global leader in its field and has been chosen to design and build some of the most prestigious projects in the world.
SNC-Lavalin's Power, Grid & Industrial Solutions Sector is a leader in the field of power generation and distribution. We are proud to have more than 100 years of experience in dams and hydroelectricity, with our first hydroelectric project dating back to 1911. SNC-Lavalin has been closely involved in the design, construction, refurbishment and study of hydro and power systems and has facilitated the production of some 296,000 MW of hydropower, more than 114,000 km of transmission lines and more than 2,500 substations around the world.
We are currently looking for an Intermediate Electrical Engineer to work within a multi-discipline team to develop design packages for medium/ high voltage systems including balance of plant systems. The Intermediate Electrical Engineer will coordinate his/her design activities to maintain project schedules and ensure successful project completion. They will also assist the estimating team in preparation of conceptual designs, estimates and project proposals. This position is accountable to provide all design activities in accordance with applicable Codes and Standards, including all of SNC-Lavalin’s policies and procedures, such as Safety, Environmental, Quality Assurance and Quality Control.
How will you contribute to the team?
To perform this role successfully, the individual will be responsible for but not limited to the following:
- Prepare conceptual design of complex projects.
- Detailed designs of for following balance of plant systems.
- Generation Station service AC and DC power distribution system including motor controls.
- Grounding systems:
- Powerhouse LV building services system (Fire Alarm, Lighting, security and access control, HVAC).
- MV/LV cable system.
- Cable tray systems.
- Prepare detailed specifications for following components and systems:
- MV Switchgear including generator circuit breakers.
- LV Station Service Equipment.
- Generator Step-up Transformers.
- High Voltage AIS and GIS Equipment.
- Prepare protection and control panel layouts and schematics drawings Electrical Protection Systems and SCADA System.
- Prepare Power Single Line Diagram, Relay and Metering One-line diagram.
- Prepare AC three-line diagram, Elementary Schematics and Wiring diagrams.
- Prepare Bills of Materials and Cable Schedules.
- Using ETAP software for short circuit, grounding, load flow and arc flash calculations.
- Prepare the design basis memorandum and detailed engineering scope and guide the assigned discipline engineers to align the engineering deliverables according to project requirements.
- Work closely with peers and other discipline designers to ensure accurate delivery that will meet utility Standards, industry standards and meet good engineering practices, policies and procedures.
- Maintain complete project documentation.
- Maintain good working relationship with internal groups that support the project.
What will you contribute?
- A bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering from a recognized Institution.
- A minimum of 5-10 years strong experience in the power generation or/and utility section.
- Good knowledge of North American codes and standards such as CSA, IEEE and ANSI.
- Proficiency ETAP and Microsoft Office software.
- A Professional Engineer registered (or eligible for registration) with EGBC (British Columbia).
- Knowledge in calculation of electrical protection relay settings will be considered as an advantage.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
What we offer at SNC-Lavalin?
At SNC-Lavalin, you will enjoy good compensation, a safe and healthy work environment, and a full range of benefits (ie.: group insurance, retirement savings plan, share purchase plan, continuing education program, etc.).
- Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes.
- Economical salary.
- Motivational financial package & flexible benefits.
- Defined contribution pension plan in which SNC-Lavalin contributes.
- Work equipment provided according to the season (boot, bib, helmet, gloves, etc.).
- Employee Share Ownership Plan (ESOP).
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP).
- Learning and Development programs, training, career opportunities.
The masculine gender is used only to simplify the wording.
Successful applicants will be notified about SNC-Lavalin’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended, and the information will be shared with new personnel during the onboarding process.
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
SNC-Lavalin cares about your privacy. SNC-Lavalin and other subsidiary or affiliated companies of SNC-Lavalin (referred to throughout as “SNC-Lavalin”) are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to SNC-Lavalin, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies.
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs