Intermediate Geotechnical Engineer
Intermediate Geotechnical Engineer
Why join us?
SNC-Lavalin’s Environment and Geoscience group offers consulting services in the following areas: Geotechnical, Geoenvironmental, Environmental Risk Assessment, Contaminated Site Assessment and Remediation, Environmental Studies, Environmental and Social Impact Assessments, Air Quality and Green House Gas Emissions, Sustainability, Environmental Management and Planning, Geographic Information Systems, Rural Development, Waste Management, Hydrogeology and Water Resources.
We are currently seeking a Geotechnical Engineer with field experience and ample involvement in geotechnical projects along with project management and client relations aptitude to join the team in Burnaby.
Reporting to geotechnical operations manager in Burnaby, BC, the successful candidate will be responsible for geotechnical engineering consulting including preparation of proposals, technical reports, field work, managing projects and budgets and invoices. The position requires direct involvement in projects varying in size from $1,000 to over $100,000.
Our geotechnical engineers work closely with other SNC-Lavalin professionals in the fields of environmental assessment, contaminated sites, civil engineering and related disciplines. You will participate on multi-disciplinary teams and projects and may be expected to cross-train somewhat in other disciplines to diversify your expertise and knowledge.
Your experience shall demonstrate leadership and decision-making aptitude commitment as well as commitment to excellent health & safety practices. SNC-Lavalin requires you to have high levels of ethics, integrity and commitment to diversity and inclusiveness. You shall possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, proven technical report writing skills, and as well as being organized and detail oriented.
You will demonstrate an ability to motivate yourself in the absence of day to day direct supervision, setting and prioritizing tasks. You must have the ability to apply the ideas of other professionals in your field as well as making suggestions to improve the quality of others’ work
How will you contribute to the team?
- Participate and develop your skills to lead/manage geotechnical investigations and assessments.
- Conduct geotechnical field investigations and monitoring of construction activities.
- Analyze and prepare recommendations and reports for projects relating to foundation design, slope stability, road structure design, dikes and dams, materials testing, and other geotechnical related projects. Seismic and liquefaction engineering skills are preferred, along with ground improvement techniques expertise.
- Communicate effectively with other senior staff within the team.
- Write competitive proposals and work plans.
- Understand materials testing objectives to support geotechnical investigation and design recommendations.
- Provide guidance and troubleshooting for quality control testing and performance of earthworks such as structural fill compaction and excavations.
- Partner with SNC-Lavalin colleagues to work on each other’s projects and cross-sell services.
- Some projects and sites may be located in other parts of the province and you may be required to travel for site investigations and construction projects.
- Develop and manage relationships with clients, SNC-Lavalin divisional personnel and field personnel and build an internal network within the company.
- Provide practical and economic solutions to clients, on demand and on the spot with the support of the senior staff.
- Over time, develop to participate in more complex proposals and projects and more proactively interact with clients to win more business.
- Participate in multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Ensure proper implementation and continued use of safety and quality assurance programs and corporate policies and procedures.
- Through experience and development, grow to participate in and execute project management, cost management, invoice payment, and client billing.
What will you contribute?
- Bachelor’s degree in Geotechnical Engineering (advanced degree(s) will be preferred).
- Preferably 1 year to 6 years of relevant industry experience, since graduation, in providing practical geotechnical engineering related services.
- Eligible for registration as an Engineer-in-Training or Professional Engineer with EGBC, if not already registered.
- Preferably familiar with geotechnical software including LPile, GROUP, APile, Geoslope.
- Proven organizational, technical, report writing, decision-making and verbal communication skills. Attention to detail is important.
- Valid Canadian driver’s licence with a clean driver’s abstract
What we offer at SNC-Lavalin:
At SNC-Lavalin, you will enjoy competitive compensation, a safe and healthy work environment, and a full range of benefits (ie: group insurance, retirement savings plan, share purchase plan, continuing education program, etc.).
• Opportunity to work on various projects of various sizes
• Competitive salary
• Motivational financial package & flexible benefits
• Defined contribution pension plan in which SNC-Lavalin contributes
• Work equipment provided according to the season (boot, bib, helmet, gloves, etc.);
• Employee Share Ownership Plan (ESOP)
• Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
• 3 weeks of vacation time
• Learning and Development programs, training, career opportunities
The masculine gender is used only to simplify the wording.
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.
SNC-Lavalin cares about your privacy. SNC-Lavalin and other subsidiary or affiliated companies of SNC-Lavalin (referred to throughout as “SNC-Lavalin”) are committed to protecting your privacy. Please consult our Privacy Notice on our Careers site to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to SNC-Lavalin, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com
Our Latest Articles
Recently viewed jobs