Intermediate Signaling & Train Control Systems Specialist-Rail
SNC-Lavalin is truly a global leader in its field, and has been chosen to design and build some of the most prestigious prizes in the world. Within Canada, our Mass Transit team has been selected to design and deliver most of the recent Greenfield and Brownfield LRT, ALRT and Light Metro jobs awarded in the last 10 years including the Canada Line, Calgary West LRT, Edmonton North LRT, the Evergreen Line and the Confederation Line. We are actively working on delivering Evergreen (Vancouver), Eglinton-Crosstown (Toronto), Confederation and Trillium Extension Lines (Ottawa) and have a number of other projects at the proposal stage or awaiting award.
Our Rail and Transit Engineering team delivers solutions and services that include Systems Interface Management, Track Systems, Power Supply & Distribution, Rail Control Systems, Rolling Stock, System & Safety Assurance and Strategic Services. One of the key components of our Rail Control Systems delivery is the many system elements and components that need to be designed into, and integrated with the many facilities and vehicles including train control, signalling, data communication system, passenger information & announcement system, SCADA, telephony system, CCTV, etc. In light of our current and future workloads, our Rail Control Systems directorate is looking for an Intermediate Signaling & Train Control Systems Engineer, reporting to the Manager, Train Control Systems. To perform this role successfully, the individual will be involved in the following:
• Design of signalling systems including trackside equipment, wayside equipment, signal room equipment and control room equipment
• Technical management of train control system projects executed by vendors
• System design to meet for operational capacity and project functionality requirements
• Integration of Train Control & Signalling System design into Stations, Stops, Traction Power Sub-stations, Maintenance & Storage facilities and Control Centres in accordance with Project requirements
• Working with the System Design teams, other Domain teams and the Requirements Management team within the Rail Control Systems Directorate on specification and delivery of these various Train Control & Signalling Systems into overall rail and mass transit project solutions
• Interfacing with design groups (communications, fixed facilities, etc.) and with external team members (architects, code consultants, AHJs, major suppliers, etc.)
• Component, sub-system and system procurement (technical specifications, vendor selections, post-award support, etc.)
• Delivery of Design\Construction and Interface Control documentation
• Interaction with Operations and Maintenance teams
• Support of construction and installation activities in the field
• Support for Test & Commissioning and setting to work of mass transit, urban rail and heavy freight signalling and control systems
• Assistance with customer staff training
• Assistance with the generation of O&M Manuals
• P.Eng. License of Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO) is an asset but not required for this position.
• Experienced in the design and selection of the various elements of a transit project’s train control and signalling systems.
• Experienced in the design and application of at least one major train control discipline (ATC/CBTC/PTC or Conventional)
• Experienced in the design and/or integration of train control systems into transit facilities and vehicles
• Experienced in the generation of design documents, drawings, technical requirements and specifications.
• Accustomed to operating within a multi-disciplinary project structure with responsibility for Train Control & Signaling systems design
• Self-motivated and able to work with limited direct supervision
• Accustomed to working on multiple projects at one time
• Able to interact within discussions with the partners, clients and suppliers
•Able to support a team of technical specialists
•Able to adapt to changing circumstances
•Able to work in design office, project office and field environments
• Min 5-10 years of experience in the design and application of Train Control & Signalling Systems in Rail & Transit
• Must be willing to travel to project sites and vendor locations
Appropriate accommodations will be provided upon request throughout the recruitment and hiring process as required by Company policy and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
Successful applicants will be notified about SNC-Lavalin’s accommodation policies at the time the employment offer is extended, and the information will be shared with new personnel during the onboarding process.
Founded in 1911, SNC-Lavalin is a global fully integrated professional services and project management company and a major player in the ownership of infrastructure. From offices around the world, SNC-Lavalin's employees are proud to build what matters. Our teams provide comprehensive end-to-end project solutions – including capital investment, consulting, design, engineering, construction, sustaining capital and operations and maintenance – to clients in oil and gas, mining and metallurgy, infrastructure and power. On July 3, 2017, SNC-Lavalin acquired Atkins, one of the world's most respected design, engineering and project management consultancies. http://www.snclavalin.com
At SNC-Lavalin, we seek to hire individuals with diverse characteristics, backgrounds and perspectives. We strongly believe that world-class talent makes no distinctions based on gender, ethnic or national origin, sexual identity and orientation, age, religion or disability, but enriches itself through these differences.