Intern - Water Infrastructure
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Henderson, NV office as an Intern - Water Infrastructure.
The Intern I will support staff performing work for utilities and public works agencies in Southern Nevada and surrounding areas, including planning and civil engineering design in water and wastewater infrastructure. The Intern I may primarily focus on work associated with the Backflow project, which involves researching easements for the purposes of installing backflow prevention devices within the LVVWD service area. In this case, the Intern will work closely with ROW agents and technicians performing various duties including, but not limited to, ROW and easement research and preparing packages for the construction of backflow assemblies.
Under supervision, the Intern performs a variety of basic technical tasks to assist ROW agents and technicians, engineers, planners, scientists or other technical services of the company while developing professional proficiency. This classification is for college students who are enrolled in an engineering Bachelor’s degree program and hired for temporary work.
The Intern objectives are to learn how to clearly convey the design intent through construction documents, engineering reports, exhibits, drawings and specifications. On assignments involving investigations and planning, the Intern works to learn the fundamentals of engineering processes and to apply them successfully to operating systems. The Intern upholds engineering ethics and standards of conduct.
- Assists in basic technical support assignments pertaining to the ROW research and preparation of construction packages, planning and design documents, and production of engineering drawings.
- Gathers, logs, and summarizes data to be used by ROW agents and technicians or professionals in technical studies or projects.
- Performs simple math calculations.
- Performs simple drafting and CAD assignments following detailed instructions.
- Assists in the preparation of graphic displays and presentation materials.
- Develops an understanding of local design standards and criteria related to roadways, sanitary sewers, water distribution systems, storm sewers, and site grading.
- Participates in engineering investigations and planning work by completing simple well-defined tasks. These tasks may include collection and analysis of data using established procedures, performance of routine calculations, and participation in evaluating the feasibility of alternate solutions.
- Assists in the preparation of simple hydraulic calculations and hydraulic models under the direction of a more experienced professional, with an emphasis on both pressure and gravity flow pipeline networks, and assists with the preparation of outcome reports.
- Assists more experienced professionals with simple quality control checks, checking computations, and/or reviewing design elements and drawings performed by others.
- Evaluates the results from quality control testing.
- Performs such other duties as the supervisor may from time to time deem necessary.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- High school level courses in math, technical drafting, computer assisted drafting and/or science may be required. No experience is generally required with the applicable high school courses or equivalent training, or if accepted into an Associate's or Bachelor's degree program in a related technical field.
- Good interpersonal skills and capable of developing technical writing, and communications skills.
- PC and CAD skills required. AutoCAD Civil 3D experience is preferred.
- Prior experience in Microsoft Office with a focus on Excel and Word is preferred.
- Math skills to perform simple calculations.
- Willingness to learn.
- Ability to process paper/electronic documents and utilize computer equipment; ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing; ability to visit project sites if necessary. Job also requires ability to assemble and analyze basic data.
- Active in student or other technical organizations is desirable.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Our Latest Articles