International Tax Manager
SNC-Lavalin is going through an exciting period of change. A Canadian listed engineering and construction firm, on July 2017 they acquired the UK engineering consultancy Atkins bringing with it a great opportunity to re-position the SNC-Lavalin brand in the eyes of our markets and ahead of our competitors. The combined group now has approximately 50,000 employees around the world and both Atkins and SNC-L’s offerings combined give us the opportunity to continue our growth. The future of engineering and construction is in the greater use of data, combined with technologies to deliver our services more efficiently and bring different offerings to our clients. From apps, virtual reality and artificial intelligence, to mobility as a service and digital asset management, we are combining our traditional engineering skills with technology to fundamentally change the way we do things.
SNCL Tax currently have an opportunity for a Corporate Tax Manager in our Epsom office, reporting to a Senior International Tax Manager.
Overview of key responsibilities
The primary responsibility is to be a Tax business partner to the UK & Europe business (and potentially other areas too) providing advice to non-finance staff in a clear, comprehensive manner. In addition, you will work with the other members of the Global Tax Team (based in Canada, the UAE and the UK) and support head office tax reporting and compliance requirements.
- Liaise with businesses to analyse and advise upon the tax impact of the Group’s international and other complex projects, joint ventures etc.
- Advise on the tax implications and incremental costs of commercial bids and the implementation of tax mitigation strategies.
- Advise on the Group’s corporate structuring issues including on acquisitions, divestments and reorganizations, country start-ups and closures.
- Assisting with the design, structuring and execution of transactions of cross-border reorganizations, acquisitions and domestic transactions
- Provide advice and technical support in e.g. overseas entity reviews, interest deductions, BEPS, tax audits, and transfer pricing.
- Effectively manage a range of business and other stakeholder relationships.
- Provide tax desk support for ad-hoc tax enquiries from the Group’s UK and overseas businesses.
- Monitor and analyse the changes to tax legislation that impact the Group.
- Assist with the development, maintenance and delivery of group policy and procedures and controls. Develop and implement tools for efficient taxes management.
Skills & attributes
- Qualified Chartered Accountant ACA or similar required, and CTA or International Diploma desirable.
- Demonstrable post qualified experience within an International Tax environment
- Significant experience advising international businesses on tax.
- Knowledge of VAT on services and goods preferable.
- Knowledge of the engineering, construction, energy services or wider services sectors desirable.
- Proactive and able to manage and deliver projects, beginning to shape more complex projects with direction. Able to prioritize and juggle workload effectively.
- Demonstrates a keen interest in business and an inquisitive mind. Solution focused with an eye for risk and the financial and behavioral impact of actions. Appreciates the value of succinct communication.
- Able to apply technical positions to practical situations and to articulate complex tax issues confidently and persuasively to a broad range of stakeholders.
- Demonstrates strong research skills with ability to quickly and accurately interpret commercial, legal and financial data, and to analyse, advise on, and implement complex trading structures.
- Keen to develop new capabilities, resourceful, able to deliver at a high level under pressure and work independently. Professional and team orientated, energetic, focused, productive, and dependable.
- Good technical knowledge of established tax system (both Direct and Indirect taxes) as well as cross-border trading (WHT, PEs, Income Taxes, VAT)
- Strong communication and presentational skills
- Good excel and PowerPoint skills
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Rewards and benefits:
Atkins offers a fantastic range of benefits, which you can tailor to suit your own health, wellbeing, financial and lifestyle choices.
All the information you need to know is available on our dedicated benefits portal; your reward, which is available to access 24/7 from any device: https://www.yourrewardatkins.com
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.