ITS / Traffic Engineer
Atkins has the depth and breadth of expertise to respond to the most technically challenging and time-critical infrastructure projects and the urgent transition to a low-carbon economy.
Atkins seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our team in Houston, TX as an ITS/Traffic Engineer.
Under supervision, performs routine traffic/intelligent transportation systems engineering work while developing professional proficiency. On design assignments, works to learn how to clearly convey the design intent through engineering drawings and specifications. Works to learn the fundamentals of engineering processes and to apply them successfully to traffic management systems. Upholds engineering ethics and standards of conduct
- Generally, applies standard engineering techniques, procedures and criteria in carrying out a sequence of somewhat diversified tasks requiring the use of analysis, interpretation, and deductive reasoning.
- Perform analytical and investigative tasks relating to deployment of traffic management systems such as illumination, roadway signage and pavement markings, traffic signals, traffic control and intelligent transportation systems.
- Perform field review of project study areas, such as Identification of existing communications and power infrastructure.
- Assist with the technical tasks involved in traffic management design; communications, power, and structural calculations; and the documentation associated with governmental acceptance.
- Perform traffic operations analysis to support high-level long- and short- range transportation planning initiatives. Assist in the management of tasks related to transportation systems management and operations (TSMO) and design of the infrastructure to support TSMO deployments.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- B.S. in Engineering. Minimal to no experience is required of incumbents with a Bachelor's Degree in a branch of Engineering directly related to hiring discipline.
- The appropriately qualified candidate will have the following core competencies and required experience:
- Bachelor's degree in civil or electrical engineering or a related field;
- Achieved EI/EIT status at minimum or ability to obtain within six months
- Experience with traffic engineering analysis and design software such as MicroStation, AutoCAD, and SignCAD is preferred.
- 0-2 years of traffic operations analysis experience; or recent masters level graduate with relevant transportation degree.
- Proficiency with the MS Office suite of software;
- Ability to effectively communicate with clients and colleagues, both verbally and in writing;
- Strong decision making, organizational and time management skills; and analytical skills and attention to detail.
- Good interpersonal skills and capable of developing technical writing, and communications skills.
- PC skills required
- E.I. or EIT desired
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here:
Atkins cares about your privacy.
Please consult our Privacy Notice to know more about how we collect, use and transfer your Personal Data.
By submitting your personal information to Atkins, you confirm that you have read and accept our Privacy Notice.
Atkins will not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters, headhunters, contract recruiters, search firms or employment agencies. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate, Atkins explicitly reserves the right to recruit and hire those candidate(s) at its discretion, and without any financial obligation whatsoever to the recruiter or agency. Any such unsolicited resume or candidate contact information, including those submitted directly to Atkins hiring managers or any other employee, shall become the property of Atkins upon receipt.