Junior Civil/Structural Engineer (Nuclear & Power)
Junior Civil/Structural Engineer (Nuclear & Power)
Owing to expanding and challenging opportunities in the Nuclear New Build Market, we are looking for talented Civil or Structural Engineers with strong technical skills to join our expanding team.
Atkins have been operating in the UK nuclear sector for over 50 years, and today work across all of the current and prospective nuclear licensed sites in the UK. On nuclear new build projects alone, we have delivered over 7 million man-hours of support over the past decade. This makes Atkins the biggest nuclear new build organisation in the UK with opportunities to work on Hinkley Point C and Sizewell C projects.
In addition to our New Build market, we have excellent opportunities in Power Generating Assets and Reactor Decommissioning markets.
We are a multi-discipline organisation founded on a strong civil engineering heritage, and we operate across the full scope of these projects and at different phases of their lifecycle. A particular strength is supporting our clients though the planning and detailed design phases of their projects to ensure the projects move seamlessly into the construction phases. We then continue to provide engineering oversight during construction and through commissioning.
Working within our Energy business in Bristol, you will be working on Nuclear & Power projects of national and international significance, at the forefront of the addressing modern energy needs. You will be instrumental in delivering exciting, varied packages of work, interfacing with other engineering disciplines, whilst developing your technical skills and management expertise in delivering results that delight your client. You will demonstrate innovation and efficiency in your design solutions including use of value engineering and our ‘best in class’ digital solutions such as virtual reality. You will cultivate strong working relationships with clients, working with confidence and professionalism at the heart of modern engineering solutions.
You will have a strong technical background in civil or structural engineering projects and be looking to develop your project management skillset alongside your technical ability. You will be an agile, lateral thinker with a delivery focus as a questioning mind and the ability to challenge and interrogate in different situations is a key part of this role. You will enjoy building strong and trusted relationships, working with others and will need to be able to interface with clients and understand their needs.
You should have:
- A strong technical background, including first principles analysis and knowledge and use of relevant UK and international codes and standards.
- Working towards chartership with a recognised institution such as The Institution of Civil Engineers and / or The Institution of Structural Engineers,
- Degree qualified (with a degree accredited by the Institution of Civil Engineers or the Institution of Structural Engineers, or other recognised body)
Experience of at least three of the following aspects is highly desirable:
- Design of concrete, steel and masonry structures using recognised UK, US or European codes and standards.
- Strong team ethic, working with others across disciplines to deliver to time, cost and quality.
- Execution of projects working to clear QA processes and procedures.
- Inspection or appraisal of existing concrete, steel and masonry structures.
- Design and validation of structural modifications.
- Design and analysis of structures under dynamic loading such as seismic, blast or missile impact.
- Construction/implementation of designs on site.
- Working in highly regulated environments such as nuclear.
- Recognised training or experience with engineering software packages, preferably including FE analysis.
- Leading junior staff in development of design studies.
Atkins develops individuals through a tailored portfolio of training and development courses designed to help successful candidates make the best of their abilities and talents.
Travel to other Atkins premises and client sites may be necessary. You should be willing to work flexibly and outside of normal working hours to satisfy the requirements of the role.
Flexible working options may be considered including part-time working or job-share arrangements.
Please refer to the Atkins website for details of our benefits package which includes the opportunity to purchase up to 15 days additional annual leave per year on top of our standard 25 days paid annual leave (or pro-rata equivalent).
Successful candidates will be required to undergo a security vetting process and offers of employment will be subject to relevant security clearance being granted.
ATKINS, part of the SNC Lavalin Group, is committed to having a diverse and inclusive workforce. As an Equal Opportunities Employer, we value applications from all backgrounds, cultures and ability.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.